Aberystwyth Law School, Living the Law Since 1901
Crime and Popular Culture
Contemporary issues in criminology
Debate key contemporary issues in Criminology, such as hate crimes, miscarriages of justice and animal abuse.
Explore how abnormal behaviour and mental illness in individuals, influences their decision making and impacts the course of their lives.
Psychological explanations of criminal behaviour
Look at the psychological, biological, environmental and evolutionary explanations which could explain criminal behaviour
Sports: Law and society
Investigate the criminal, contractual and criminological aspects of sport, with talks from eminent speakers from the sporting world.
Employability and Skills
- Visits by employers to Law School, e.g. police; solicitors; judges.
- Careers fairs information stand, drop in sessions and workshops; enterprise events.
- Careers guidance interviews.
- Professional futures sessions
- Peer mentoring
- Offensive weapons, self-defence, location, emotion, and the media.
- Assisted dying and Euthanasia.
- Wildlife crime; animal abuse and miscarriages of justice.
- Crime prevention and reduction, offending in combat zones; supporting veterans.
- Desistance from crime and creative interventions in offended rehabilitation. Dr Brendan Coyle is a member of the Dyfed Powys Police Research Board.
- Capital punishment in the USA.
- Piracy and the private sector.
- Miss Katherine Williams is Chair of the Welsh Centre for Crime and Social Justice.