Aberystwyth University Mooting Society
Aberystwyth University Mooting Society is open to all students of the Department of Law and Criminology. The society provides members with the opportunity to develop their mooting skills through a series of training workshops and mooting competitions.
Mooting is the oral presentation of a legal argument in mock court proceedings. It is designed to develop legal skills and will provide students with the closest experience to appearing in court. During a mooting competition participants will usually moot in pairs, with two competitors acting on behalf of the appellant and two on behalf of the respondent. Each team traditionally comprises of a senior and junior counsel, who cover a separate ground of appeal.
For those considering a career in courtroom advocacy, experience of mooting is essential. However, mooting develops a wide range of skills applicable to both legal and non-legal careers alike including:
- Confidence in public speaking
- Researching skills
- Writing and Presentation skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Time management and the ability to balance a competing work load
Mooting now forms a part of the Law degree at Aberystwyth University. As such, participation in the mooting society has a significant educational value, providing members with the opportunity to enhance their understanding of the law and their advocacy skills.
Internal Mooting Competition
The internal mooting competition consists of a series of rounds across the academic year through which members compete to earn a place in the final.
External Mooting Competition
As well as hosting an internal mooting competition, members of the Mooting Society have also participated in both inter-varsity and national mooting competitions some of which include:
- The OUP & BPP National Mooting Competitions
- The ESU-Essex Court Chambers National Mooting Competition
- The Welsh National Mooting Competition
- The Irwin Mitchell/University of Leicester Intervarsity Medical Law Mooting Competition
- University of Hertfordshire/Blackstone’s National Criminal Advocacy Competition
- UK Environmental Law Association (UKELA) Student Prize Moot
In 2013, teams from Aberystwyth University reached the final round of the UKELA Student Prize moot Competition and the final round of the Irwin Mitchell/University of Leicester Intervarsity Medical Law Mooting Competition.
For further information please do not hesitate to contact the department’s Mooting Officer: Jan Holloway firstname.lastname@example.org