The Opening of the Edward Davies Chemical Laboratories in 1907
The imposing Edward Davies building designed by London architect A.W.S. Cross MA FRIBA, was opened by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, H.H. Asquith, a year before he became Prime Minister at 11am on 1st November 1907. Large numbers of town, college and state dignitaries joined a procession from Old College to the Buarth gathering at the ceremony to witness Mrs Edward Davies present the deed of gift to the College President, Lord Rendel. The architect handed over the key to Asquith who unlocked the door and led the visitors upstairs to the west laboratory where he declared the building officially open.
After the opening, Lunch was served at the New Market Hall in Aberystwyth, at the invitation of the College President and the Council and Senate of the College.
Toasts were proposed to the King and the Royal family, the Right Honourable H.H. Asquith, MP, and the donors of the laboratories.