Welcome! If you are a graduate of Aberystwyth University, you are welcome to use our services - have a look at our How We Can Help for more information about what's available.
You may be a recent graduate or may be revisiting career decisions you made some time ago. Either way, the principles of career planning remain the same and we will do our best to help you.
Know what you want to do?
- If you haven't done so already, research the career you have in mind on the national Prospects website - paying particular attention to the skills and qualifications required, entry routes and sources of vacancies.
- Search AberConnections, our vacancies and events database for relevant jobs. Whilst many employers, including small and medium-sized employers (SMEs), recruit on a year-round basis, some vacancies have closing dates as early as Christmas or Easter. Look on our website for more information about finding graduate work and visit our office in the Students' Union if you're looking for work in the local area.
- Make the most of the careers resources available to you - and make sure you get help on writing CV's (PDF), Covering Letters (PDF) and Application Forms (PDF) and preparing for interviews and assessment centres. Search our events page for details of skills workshops run as part of our Employability Events Programme - not all of them run every term, so do try to plan ahead.
- Look at AberConnections for upcoming events, be aware that many of these take place during the autumn term, before Christmas.
- Start applying for further study if it is relevant to your future plans.
- Talk with a careers consultant about your ideas and to get your first applications checked over.
You may, however, wish to explore other career options, just to make sure that you are making a truly informed choice. Who knows? The perfect career may be quite other than you have always imagined. Have a look at What Next, or perhaps visit the Careers Service and have a chat with a careers consultant.
Not sure what you want to do?
If you don't have any ideas, or are not sure, about what you want to do, don't panic; there's no absolutely right or wrong time to get started. The Careers Service is happy to help you and you certainly won't be the first to come in saying, "I don't know what I want to do" after graduation!
- Try out the on-line Prospects Planner for help in deciding what you might like to do. Have a look, too, at the subject specific information for ideas of where your degree could take you.
- Talk with a careers consultant as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to think about your options and make a start on planning for your future.
See How We Can Help for advice on seeing a careers consultant and for a description of the services we offer. Feel free to visit, email or telephone us and remember that you can use us for as long as you need - we're here to help.