Year in Employment Scheme
The Year in Employment Scheme (YES) has been running successfully at Aberystwyth University for over 40 years, enabling students to undertake a year in employment between the second and third year of undergraduate study.
What are the benefits?
Participating in YES is a rewarding and worthwhile experience, both personally and professionally. As you know, the graduate job market is extremely competitive. Recruiters are looking for graduates who have good academic qualifications but also commercial awareness and other transferable skills that will help them to quickly contribute to and succeed in the workplace. There is no doubt that one of the best ways to develop these skills and ‘employability’ is through work experience, and that a placement year means “Doing value-creating work, getting paid for it and learning at the same time, enhancing the ability to get work in the future” (Ghoshal, 1997).
As well as these work-related skills though, YES also contributes a great deal to your personal development, leading to, for example, greater confidence, self-awareness, resilience and career-management skills.
In addition to developing these important skills, a YES placement can also provide the opportunity to:
- test out career ideas and confirm career choice
- earn a salary
- receive training, which may count towards a professional qualification
- work abroad and learn a new language
- meet new friends and develop new networks
- be fully exposed to the world of work and gain ‘commercial awareness’, that is a deeper understanding of how different sectors, businesses and industries work
- make great contacts that will be useful as your career develops
- prove your value to your host employer – which could lead to a graduate job offer!
A YES placement often has a positive impact on academic work too by giving you the chance to:
- apply learning gained through your academic studies in Years 1 and 2 to real situations in the workplace
- start research work for your final year dissertation
- improve your final year exam marks by utilising the additional knowledge and skills acquired during the placement, e.g. time management, making presentations, working with others
Don’t just take our word for it… have a look at these profiles to see what previous YES students have done and how taking part in YES has helped them.
Interested? Then check out our step-by-step guide to YES to find out what to do next!
We look forward to hearing from you!