Welsh Language Use of Staff Survey 2016
Every year Aberystwyth University conducts a survey of the Welsh language use of its staff. This survey is in the action plan of the Strategic Integrated Plan for the Welsh Language and its aim is to identify attitudes to language use, training needs and to enable strategic planning to develop resources and services.
In February 2016 the Welsh Language Use Survey was held for all of the University’s staff for the first time, with about a quarter of the staff taking part.
If you would like to see the full report click : Adroddiad Arolwg Defnydd Iaith Staff Language Use Survey Report 2016
Here are some of the facts from the survey:-
- 73% of the University’s staff who filled in the questionnaire heard Welsh every day at work.
- 40% of them had attended Welsh lessons of some sort.
- 51% of them agreed that the University supports them to use their Welsh language skills at work.
- 83% of them agreed that the University supports the use of Welsh across the institution.
Non-Welsh speaking Staff
- 78.6% of the non-Welsh speaking University staff who filled in the questionnaire said that they heard the language at work at least once a week.
Fluent Welsh Speaking Staff
- 82% of the staff who filled in the questionnaire who spoke Welsh fluently could also write the language with confidence.
- 95% of them spoke Welsh at work every day or almost every day.
- 65% of them wrote Welsh at work every day or almost every day.
Staff who can speak some Welsh
- 38% of the staff who filled in the questionnaire who could speak a fair bit of Welsh spoke Welsh at work every day or almost every day.
- 58.6% of them read Welsh in work at least once a week.
Staff who speak a litte Welsh
- 27% of the staff who filled in the questionnaire who spoke a little Welsh spoke Welsh at work at least once a week.
- 39.8% of them read Welsh in work at least once a week.
With whom is Welsh spoken
The staff mostly spoke Welsh with colleagues in their department. (32.9%)
Following an analysis of the Survey steps were taken to:
- Enhance the linguistic landscape by offering language awareness/taster sessions, Profi’r Dŵr/Dip Your Toes, to staff and postgraduates.
- Identify opportunities to provide tailored linguistic training to specific services.
- Establish the Gwobrau Gŵyl Dewi Aber Awards to promote the valuable contribution of staff who learn Welsh and/or use Welsh in the workplace.
 23% of University staff.