Preparing our students for the computing of tomorrow.
The Computer Science department combines excellent teaching and leading technology research to nurture our students – helping them become successful graduates.
Welcome to the Computer Science Department, here at Aberystwyth University. More than just a department, over time, we have created a unique and close-knit community between staff and students, who enjoy learning in an area surrounded by outstanding natural beauty.
Long-established and leading in technological research, we cover many interesting areas including robotics, artificial intelligence, bioinformatics, computer vision, internet communications and software engineering.
With strong links to major international companies and most our degrees professionally accredited by BCS (The Chartered Institute for IT) on behalf of the Engineering Council, this will give you a head start when you enter the competitive job market.
- Teaching Labs: with high-performance multimedia workstations, specialist software and powerful central servers
- Cutting-edge Digital Systems laboratory
- 800 x PCs: located across campus and student halls, many with 24/7 access
- Many off the shelf and bespoke robotic platforms
- Vision and Motion Tracking Systems
- Virtual Reality Environments
Our staff are some of the best researchers in their field and regularly (alongside students) take part in regional, national and international projects. There are four specialist Research Groups: Advanced Reasoning; Bioinformatics & Computational Biology; Intelligent Robots; and Vision Graphics and Visualisation. We encourage inter-group working to further our research and application in these areas. Our staff are also involved in outreach initiatives such as the BCSWomen Lovelace Colloquium, ASTUTE 2020 and Schools Engagement.
Our department offers a range of opportunities to enhance your employability prospects, from Careers Fairs and CPD lectures, to Careers Advice and visiting employers.
What sets us apart?
- Learning that transforms – UK University of the Year for Teaching Quality (The Times & The Sunday Times, The Good University Guide 2018)
- Students are at the heart of what we do – 90% student satisfaction for G400 Computer Science (National Student Survey 2017)
- Our students are highly employable – 98.5% of our graduates were in employment or further study 6 months after graduation, 15% higher than the national average for Computer Science (Higher Education Statistics Agency 2017)
Where our graduates go
- Walt Disney
- Communications and Networking
- Computer Applications
- IT Consultancy and Management
- Software Design
- Systems Analysis and Development
- Web Development