Create a profile
- Register for an account.
- Once your account has been verified, the next step is to create a profile.
- Choose whether you would like the system in English or Welsh from the language button under the settings icon in the top right hand corner of the page.
- Click on the profile icon followed by the personal tab and you can edit your personal information by clicking on the edit box in the top right hand corner.
- Add a profile picture by clicking on the photo space on the left hand side of the page.
- Mini bio – A brief summary of who you are and why you are using the system.
- E.g. “I am a third year Geography undergraduate looking for help and advice on how to get a job in GIS” or “I’m an experienced accountant based in London who can offer advice on careers in tax”.
- Edit “Your Bio” section and choose whether you would like this information to be available to everyone who accesses your profile.
- You can also add in information about your career and education.
- Now you are able to use the search bar at the top of the page to find a suitable mentor.
Information for mentors
- If you are interested in offering mentoring, please click on the mentor tab and answer “yes” when asked “Would you like to be a mentor?”
- You can now edit the mentor information fields. A mentors bio may look as follows:
- Mentor Summary: I graduated from Aber in 2003 with a Biology (BSc) degree. I initially worked as a Nature Conservation Officer but later returned to academia and completed a PhD on “The obscure mating behaviour of the Greater Sage Grouse (Centrocercus urophasianus)”. I now lecture on a part-time basis at the University College London, as well as volunteering with the RSPB as a Conservation Project Advisor. My ideal mentees would be: Science students with an interest in commercialising their ideas or working in business.
- Please complete the mentor services section and select at least one of the listed mentor services.
- Define the number of mentees you wish to mentor simultaneously by editing the Mentor History tab. By default this number is set to one.
- Define your main expertise in the Expertise tab, however please avoid being overly specific.
- For example, you could put “Personal accounting” as your main expertise and add tags to provide extra detail such as: Tax advice, wealth management and will writing.
- Once you have completed your profile you can log out under the settings tab in the top right hand corner.
- If a student is interested in having you as a mentor you will be notified by email and then you can choose whether to accept or decline their request.
Searching for a mentor
- Search for a mentor by typing keywords into the search bar at the top of the page. By using the individual filters you can easily narrow down your search results.
- Click on the individual profiles to view them in more detail.
- You can send mentors a message through the “Send a message” option or, if you are interested in the individual as a mentor, you can send them a mentoring request by selecting “Send mentoring request”.
- If requesting mentoring, please remember to select the specific mentoring services that you are interested in.
- A mentor can either accept or reject your mentoring request, however in both cases you will be notified via email.
- You can log out of the system by clicking on the settings icon towards the top right hand corner of the page and then selecting “Logout”.