Three Minute Thesis
Call for entries
The Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is an academic competition for doctoral research students.
Are you equal to the challenge of communicating the complexity and relevance of your research to a non-specialist audience, verbally, in just three minutes? Can you limit yourself to just one presentation slide? Of course you are/can.
Finalists will go on to represent the University at the National Final.
- To develop public speaking confidence
- To develop public engagement and communication skills
- To develop an accessible language to talk to non-specialists about your research
- Share your ideas with a wider Aberystwyth audience
- Exciting prizes - A prize of £100 to the winner of the Aberystwyth competition and two runners up prizes of £50.
- Networking opportunities
Eligibility to Enter the 3MT Competition
- To enter, you must be currently enrolled on the 2nd year or above of a doctoral programme at Aberystwyth University. You must not have had your viva before the date of the final on 6th June 2017.
- What are the judges looking for? Don’t submit your video without carefully reading the Rules of Entry and Judging Criteria
Key dates and how to enter
- By Monday 17th April 2017 - Email the Graduate School (email@example.com) to register your interest. You will then be registered on the Three Minute Thesis module on Blackboard.
- Before Monday 8th May 2017 - Upload onto blackboard, a simple three minute “talking-head” style video, together with a 200-word research summary. Don’t worry about production values – a simple video recorded on your phone is perfectly acceptable.
- Monday 22nd May- Finalists announced.
- Tuesday 6th June 2017 - Live Aberystwyth finals in IBERS 0.33.
- July 2017: Online national semi-final. If selected for the national final, you will need to be available to travel to the competition venue (TBC) for the evening of 11 September 2017. Travel costs will be covered.
- To see examples of previous 3MT presentations, type in 3MT, 3 minute thesis or three minute thesis on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com