Health, Safety and Environment Operational Group
Terms of Reference
Reports to: the University Executive Group; and the Health, Safety and Environment Committee
Occurrence: 6 times a year
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Chief Operating Officer) (Chair)
- One safety representative from each of the University’s three recognised Trade Unions
- One student representative, nominated by the Students’ Union
- Health, Safety and Environment Manager
- Director of the Estates department
- Director of Human Resources
- Director of Student Support Services
- Director of Campus Services
- Director of Information Services
- One academic representative
Where the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Chief Operating Officer) is unable to attend, another Pro Vice-Chancellor shall be invited to attend and assume the Chair for the meeting in question. In the event that another Pro Vice-Chancellor is unable to attend, the Group may either decide to postpone the meeting and reconvene at a date when a Pro Vice-Chancellor is available, or to nominate a member by mutual agreement of all Group members to assume the Chair for the meeting in question.
Members shall be entitled to arrange for a deputy to attend individual meetings on their behalf, on the understanding that the deputy should be appropriate for the committee in question, be well informed and able to contribute to discussions with the required authority.
The Group may invite other University officers to attend meetings to provide expert information and advice.
Rhodri Gravell email@example.com
Six of the actual Group membership shall constitute a quorum.
The Health, Safety and Environment Operational Group is responsible for advising the University Executive Group and the Health, Safety and Environment Committee. It provides a forum to discuss and monitor the implementation of the University’s strategies and policies on Health, Safety and Environmental matters.
Terms of Reference
1. To act as a consultative committee for nominated safety representatives from the recognised Trade Unions.
2. To receive reports from Institute Health, Safety and Environment committees and University Research Committee, and monitor safety arrangements and improvements in those areas.
3. To receive reports from the Health, Safety and Environment team, to include:
a) Incident and accident data (to include details of RIDDOR injuries), and any recommended corrective action;
b) Occupational Health referral information;
c) Mandatory Health and Safety training compliance;
d) Any legal relevant matters; and
e) Any enforcement action.
4. To consider and agree the Health, Safety and Environment Strategic Plan for the academic year, and receive an update on actions following the previous year’s programme.
5. To contribute to the development of strategies and policy statements relating to Safety, Occupational Health, and Environmental matters; which in turn shall be considered by the University Executive Group and the Health, Safety and Environment Committee prior to Council approval.
6. To comment on the annual report on Health and Safety activities at the University, which shall ultimately be presented to the Council.
7. To consider and make suitable recommendations to the University Executive Group and the Health, Safety and Environment Committee:
a) Audit reports on Health, Safety and Environment matters at the University, including the biennial Insurance Surveyors’ Report;
b) Reports on Radiation Protection, Fire Safety, Asbestos, Genetic Modification, Biocides, and other specialist areas; and
c) Information on changes in legislation and good practice relating to Health, Safety and the Environment.
8. To receive and discuss the Health, Safety and Environment risk register; and advise on remedial actions to be taken.
9. To receive reports from the Genetic Modification Safety Committee.
10. To consider any safety concerns.
11. To receive and monitor frequent reports on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) relating to Health, Safety and Environment matters at the University; and make any necessary recommendations.
12. To review the Operational Group’s terms of reference on an annual basis, and recommend to the Health, Safety and Environment Committee, via the University Executive Group, any necessary revisions.
|Ms Rebecca Davies||Pro Vice-Chancellor (Chief Operating Officer) [Chair]||01970 62 (2008)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Rebecca Edwards||Trade Union Representative (UCU)||01970 62 (1651)||email@example.com|
|Mr Andrew Brown||Trade Union Representative (Unite)||01970 62 (2602)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ms Sue Ferguson||Trade Union Representative (UNISON)||01970 62 (1869)||email@example.com|
|Ms Molly Longden||Student Representativefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr Tom Bates||Head of Residential Services||01970 62 (2437)||email@example.com|
|Ms Maria Ferreira||Operations Manager, Estates Department||01970 62 (1792)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ms Claire Williams||
Health, Safety and Environment Manager
|01970 62 (1715)||email@example.com|
|Ms Joy Arkley||Human Resources Business Partner||01970 82 (3070)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ms Julie Hart||Deputy Director of Information Services||01970 62 (2395)||email@example.com|
|Ms Caryl Davies||Director of Student Support Services||01970 62 (1760)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Professor Helen Roberts||Academic Representative||01970 62 (2604)||email@example.com|