Facilities and Resources
IBERS has a long history of substantial investment in facilities and resources. As a result, staff and students in IBERS enjoy access to a formidable range of state-of-the-art equipment in first class laboratories. In addition, the geographic location of IBERS brings unrivalled access to natural habitats and managed landscapes. All of this is complemented by the excellent library resources (including the nearby National Library of Wales) and IT network available to the University as a whole.
The principal IBERS facilities include :
- Aquarium systems for both marine and freshwater organisms
- IBERS University Farms
- Milking Parlour
- Extensive Equine Facilities including an international-sized indoor riding arena
- National Plant Phenomics Centre (NPPC)
- Advanced Microscopy and Bio-Imaging Laboratory
- Biological Service Unit
- Mass Spectrometry and Analytical Unit
- Extensive range of growth rooms and glasshouses
- Trophic Interaction Facility for modelling systems-level processes
- Microarray Facility for transcriptomic analyses
- Facilities for DNA sequencing, metabolomics and proteomics
- Plant Genetic Resources collections and databases
- Modeling laboratory for spatial and temporal integration of biological data
- Computational Biological laboratory with a custom built robotic workstation
- Electrical/Electronic workshop for the construction and repair of equipment
- Botany gardens with a wide range of temperate and tropical plants
New building developments
Extensive building work on IBERS Penglais and IBERS Gogerddan has now been completed, with new post-graduate and teaching facilities located in the new IBERS Penglais building becoming fully operational. The new cafeteria "IBERS-Bach" located on Penglais is proving to be very popular and creating a real hub for interaction with colleagues across the University.
In parallel with developments at IBERS Penglais, significant new facilities have been created on the Gogerddan campus. These include a new translational genomics lab complex and a BBSRC-sponsored National Capability in Plant Phenomics. These new facilites have transformed the Gogerddan campus, providing unique facilities for cutting edge reserach and student training.
More information on the new developments can be found below: