Dr Hywel Griffiths
BSc, MSc, PhD (Wales)
Phone: +44 (0) 1970 622 674
- Programme Coordinator, Geography Science
- Dissertation coordination aide
- Member of Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol, Aberystwyth Branch
- Chair of the Environmental and Biological Subject Panel of the Centre for the Development of Welsh Medium Education
- EA12210: The Atmosphere and Water Cycle
- DA10810: Amgylchedd Cymru (The Environment of Wales)
- DA22510: Geomorffoleg Afonol (Fluvial Geomorphology)
- DA31620: Adnoddau Dwr a Hydroleg Byd Eang (Global hydrology and water resources)
- DA10610 Amgylcheddau Wyneb y Ddaeary (Earth Surface Environments)
- DA22110: Tiwtorial Daearyddiaeth Lefel 2
- DA10910: Methodoleg Maes Amgylcheddol (Environmental Field Methodology)
- GG22420: Geography Fieldwork (Dublin and the Wicklow Mountains)
- DA34040: Traethawd estynedig daearyddiaeth
- GG34040: Geography dissertation
- Personal tutor
- Rates, pattens and controls of fluvial processes.
- The impact of anthropogenic activities on fluvial processes.
- The impact of Holocene environmental change on fluvial systems.
- The long term development of the fluvial landscape of Wales.
- Theoretical geomorphology, especially complexity and self organised criticality.
- Using historical documentary sources to infer geomorphological and climatic change.
- Hydropolitics and cultural geographies of rivers.
- PI: Can we harness knowledge of extreme geomorphological events to promote sustainable tourism? (funded by the Joy Welch Trust)
- PI: Scaling bedrock erosional processes across space and time: from pothole dynamics to gorge development (BSG funded)
- PI: Remembering a hydrographic society: flooding, drought, adaptation and culture in the Welsh colony of Patagonia, Argentina (funded by the British Academy)
- Co-I: SusNet Wales (Sustainability Network Wales): A collaborative multidisciplinary platform for inspiration and transformation of the next generation (RCUK funded)
- Marc Huband (2013)
- Janet Richardson (2013)
- 2009-present: Lecturer in Physical Geography through the medium of Welsh, Aberystwyth University
- 2008-2009: Welsh medium teaching fellow, Aberystwyth University
- 2006-2009: Phd, Aberystwyth University
- 2005: MSc River Basin Dynamics and Management, University of Wales, Aberystwyth
- 2004: BSc Physical Geography and Mathematics, University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Operational evapotranspiration estimates from SEVIRI in support of sustainable water management. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 49 pp. 175-187. 10.1016/j.jag.2016.02.0062016.
Retrievals of soil moisture at high and meso-scale resolution using the EO-defined Ts/VI feature space. In P. Srivastava, G. Petropoulos, Y. Kerr (eds), Satellite Soil Moisture Retrieval: Techniques and Applications. Elsevier pp. 87-104.2016.
Extending the Global Sensitivity Analysis of the SimSphere model in the Context of its Future Exploitation by the Scientific Community. Water 7 (5) pp. 2101-2141. 10.3390/w70521012015.
Remote sensing and GIS analysis for mapping spatio-temporal changes of erosion and deposition of two Mediterranean river deltas: The case of the Axios and Aliakmonas rivers, Greece. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 35 (B) pp. 217-228. 10.1016/j.jag.2014.08.0042015.
Ehangu mynediad at addysgu daearyddiaeth cyfrwng Cymraeg drwy ddefnyddio technoleg fideo-gynadledda a chipio darlithoedd. Future Directions for Higher Education in Wales Conference, Aberystwyth, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 03/04/2014. Other2014.
Quantifying Spatial and Temporal Vegetation Recovery Dynamics Following a Wildfire Event in a Mediterranean Landscape using EO Data and GIS. Applied Geography 50 pp. 120-131. 10.1016/j.apgeog.2014.02.0062014.
Sensitivity Exploration of SimSphere Land Surface Model Towards its Use for Operational Products Development from Earth Observation Data. In P. Srivastava, S. Mukherjee, M. Gupta, T. Islam (eds), Remote Sensing Applications in Environmental Research. Society of Earth Scientists Series Springer pp. 35-56. 10.1007/978-3-319-05906-8_32014.
SimSphere model sensitivity analysis towards establishing its use for deriving key parameters characterising land surface interactions. Geoscientific Model Development 7 (5) pp. 1873-1887. 10.5194/gmd-7-1873-20142014.
Water under the bridge?: Nature, memory and hydropolitics. Cultural Geographies 21 (3) pp. 449-474. 10.1177/14744740135101092014.
'May God bridge river Tywi!' Integrating medieval and contemporary representations of flooding and fluvial geomorphology. Future Climate Dialogues, Aberystwyth, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 13/06/2013. Other2013.
A sensitivity analysis of the SimSphere SVAT model in the context of EO-based operational products development. Environmental Modelling and Software 49 pp. 166-179. 10.1016/j.envsoft.2013.07.0102013.
Delweddu llifogydd hanesyddol – integreiddio data diwylliannol a gwyddonol. C3W Workshop on Historical Climatology from Welsh Sources, Gregynog, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 01/04/2013.2013.
Ffurf a phroses ar safleoedd craigwely afonydd gorllewin Cymru a'u potensial ar fel safleoedd geo-dreftadaeth. Cynhadledd Wyddonol y Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol, Aberystwyth, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 10/06/2013. Other2013.
Floods, drought and human-environment interactions in the writing of the Welsh diaspora in Patagonia. Future Climate Dialogues, Aberystwyth, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 13/06/2013. Other2013.
Floods, drought and human-environment interactions in the writing of the Welsh diaspora in the new geographical frontier of Patagonia. 2013 Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers) Annual Meeting, London, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 27/08/2013 - 30/08/2013. Other2013.
Historical channel change and sediment dynamics in a heavily managed and protected small catchment: The Afon Dysynni, north Wales. 8th IAG International Conference on Geomorphology, Paris, France, 27/08/2013 - 31/08/2013. pp. 562. Other2013.
In search of the cultural geomorphosites of Wales: Evidence from medieval poetry. 8th IAG International Conference on Geomorphology, Paris, France, 27/08/2013 - 31/08/2013. pp. 537. Other2013.
Mapping erosion and deposition changes on the protected wetlands of the Axios River Delta, N. Greece, using remote sensing and GIS. Bulletin of the Geological Society of Greece 472013.
Pothole growth dynamics in mixed bedrock-alluyvial rivers: Importance for fluvial landscape development under changing environments. 2013 BSG Annual Conference, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 01/09/2013.2013.
Processes and rates of bedrock erosion in Welsh rivers and the implications for long-term landsacpe development. 8th IAG International Conference on Geomorphology, Paris, France, 27/08/2013 - 31/08/2013. pp. 286. Other2013.
Surface Soil Moisture Estimation: Significance, Controls and Conventional Measurement Techniques. In G. Petropoulos (ed), Remote Sensing of Land Surface Turbulent Fluxes and Soil Surface Moisture Content: State of Art. Taylor & Francis pp. 29-48.2013.
The tears I shed were Noah’s flood: medieval genre, floods and the fluvial landscape in the poetry of Guto’r Glyn. Journal of Historical Geography 40 pp. 94–104. 10.1016/j.jhg.2012.11.0082013.
The weathered Carboniferous Limestone at Bullslaughter Bay, South Wales: the first example of ghost rock recorded in the British Isles. Geologica Belgica 17 pp. 33-42. Other2013.
Turbulent Fluxes of Heat and Moisture at the Earth’s Surface: Importance, Controlling Parameters & Conventional Measurement Methods. In G. Petropoulos (ed), Remote Sensing of Land Surface Turbulent Fluxes and Soil Surface Moisture Content: State of Art. Taylor & Francis pp. 3-28.2013.
Clawdd Terfyn. Barddas2011.
Historical vertical instability dynamics on Welsh rivers. Advances in River Science, Swansea University, , 18/04/2011 - 21/04/2011.2011.
Late Quaternary River Development and Archaeology of the Middle Tywi Valley. Environment Agency2011.
Vertical channel instability dynamics on Welsh rivers. Advances in River Science Conference, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 01/04/2011.2011.
Banerog. Y Lolfa, Tal-y-bont2009.
Geomorffoleg Cymru: heddiw, ddoe ac yfory. Gwerddon 2 (3) 32008.
Historical rates of vertical instability dynamics on Welsh rivers. 4th International Paleoflood Workshop, Crete, Greece, 24/06/2007 - 30/06/2007.2008.
Stryd Pleser. Cyfansoddiadau a Beirniadaethau 2008: Eiteddfod Genedlaethol Caerdydd A'r Cylch. Eisteddfod Genedlaethol Cymru2008.
Historical rates of vertical channel instability dynamics on Welsh rivers. BGRG Annual Conference, Birmingham, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 01/01/2007.2007.