Professor Mark G. Macklin
Phone: +44 (0)1970 622 656
Fax: +44 (0)1970 622 659
- Member of the IGES Advisory Committee and Management Group
- Director of the Centre of Catchment and Coastal Research
- Director of Fluvio
- Faculty of Science Research Promoter
Module coordinator for:
- River Systems And Global Environmental Change (GG30420)
- River Processes And Management Field Course (EAM2220)
Mark's research focuses on river system response to climate change, human-river environment interactions, palaeoflood studies, alluvial archaeology, flood risk assessment, and metal mining impacts on river basins. His research is conducted worldwide with current projects in the Sudanese Nile (ARC funded), the Indus basin (Leverhulme funded), Southern Europe (AU funded) and in the UK (CCCR funded).
IGES Projects (Affiliates With)
- Re-evaluating the environmental controls of the Harappan Civilization collapse using OSL dating of river palaeochannel sediments 2008 (co-investigator)
- River system recovery following Novat-Rosu tailings dam failure, Northwestern Romania 2008 (co-investigator)
- Source to sink river pollution assessment and control in Bulgaria 2008 (co-investigator)
- Reconstructing historical and Holocene flooding in Welsh river catchments 2008 (co-investigator)
- The effect of base-level and climate change on coastal Mediterranean steepland catchments 2008 (co-investigator)
Current PhD Students
- Greg Whitfield
- Ms Julie Durcan
- Dr Sara Rassner
- Dr Katherine Martin
- Dr Javi Gamarra
Mark is Professor of Physical Geography and Director of the Centre for Catchment and Coastal Research (CCCR) at the Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences, Aberystwyth University. He founded and was the Head of the River Basin Dynamics and Hydrology Research Group from 1999-2007 and is Director of the Fluvio Consultancy. He currently sits on the UK National Commission for UNESCO Natural Sciences Committee, INQUA-Hydrology and Global Change Focus Area Committee and in 2006 he was appointed by the Environment Minister of the Welsh Assembly Government to Flood Risk Management Wales Executive Committee. Mark is past Chair of the British Society for Geomorphology (formerly the British Geomorphology Research Group) and in 1993 was awarded the BSG's Gordon Warwick medal in recognition of "of an outstanding contribution to geomorphological research and scholarship with particular reference to fluvial geomorphology". His research focuses on river system response to climate change, human-river environment interactions, palaeoflood studies, alluvial archaeology, flood risk assessment, and metal mining impacts on river basins. His research is conducted worldwide with current projects in the Sudanese Nile, the Indus basin, Southern Europe and in the UK. Mark has held visiting professorships in the USA (Universities of Arizona, Indiana, Wisconsin) and New Zealand ( Massey University).
Peer Reviewed Book Chapters & Journal Articles
- Jones AF, Brewer PA, Macklin MG. In Press. Geomorphological and sedimentological evidence for variations in Holocene flooding in Welsh river catchments. Global and Planetary Change
- Woodward JC, Brewer PA, Macklin MG, Tooth S. In Press. Advances in Palaeoflood Science. Global and Planetary Change
- Woodward JC, Tooth S, Brewer PA, Macklin MG. In Press. The 4th International Palaeoflood Workshop and Trends in Palaeoflood Science. Global and Planetary Change, DOI
- Richardson SD, Brewer PA, Macklin MG, Swain CH. In Press. A geomorphological approach to optimising the location of gas pipeline river crossings. Urban Geology in Wales 3,
- Bird G, Brewer PA, Macklin M G, Nikolova M, Kotsev T, Mollov M and Swain C. (In Press). Pb isotope evidence for contaminant-metal dispersal in an international river system: the lower Danube catchment, Eastern Europe. Applied Geochemistry
- Bird G, Brewer PA, Macklin MG, Nikolova M, Kotsev T, Mollov M and Swain C. (In Press). Quantifying sediment-associated metal dispersal using Pb isotopes: application of binary and multivariate mixing models in the Maritsa catchment, Bulgaria. Environmental Pollution DOI
- Dennis IA, Brewer PA, Macklin MG, Coulthard TJ. Submitted. Assessing metal contamination in fluvial sediments using background thresholds and environmental quality guidelines. Science of the Total Environment
- Clift PD, Carter A, Giosan L, Durcan JA, Duller GAT, Macklin MG, Alizai A, Tabrez AR, Danish M, VanLaningham S, and Fuller DQ. 2012. U-Pb zircon dating evidence for a Pleistocene Sarasvati River and capture of the Yamuna River. Geology 40, 211-214. DOI
- Macklin MG, Tooth S, Brewer PA, Noble PL, Duller GAT. In Press. Holocene flooding and river development in a Mediterranean steepland catchment: the Anapodaris Gorge, south central Crete, Greece. Global and Planetary Change, 70: 35-52. DOI
- Williams MAJ, Williams FM, Duller GAT, Munro RN, El Tom OAM, Barrows TT, Mackli MG, Woodward J, Talbot M. Haberlah D. and Fluin J. 2010. Late Quaternary floods and droughts in the Nile Valley, Sudan: New evidence from optically stimulated luminescence and AMS radiocarbon dating. Quaternary Science Reviews. 29: 1116-1137
- Bird G, Brewer PA, Macklin MG, Nikolova M, Kotsev T, Mollov M, Swain C. 2010. Contaminant-metal dispersal in mining-affected river catchments of the Danube and Maritsa drainage basins, Bulgaria. Water Air and Soil Pollution: 206: 105-127
- Bird G, Brewer PA, Macklin MG. 2010. Managing the Danube drainage basin: implications of contaminant metal dispersal for the implementation of the EU Water Framework Directive. International Journal of River Basin Management 8: 63-78
- Dennis IA, Coulthard TJ, Brewer PA, Macklin MG. 2009. The role of floodplains in attenuating contaminated sediment fluxes in formerly mined drainage basins. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 34: 453-466. DOI
- Bird G, Macklin MG, Brewer PA, Zaharia S, Balteanu D, Driga B, Serban M. 2009. Heavy metals in potable groundwater of mining-affected river catchments, northwestern Romania. Environmental Geochemistry and Health 31: 741-758. DOI
- Brewer PA, Johnstone E, Macklin MG. 2009. River dynamics and environmental change in Wales. Rivers of Wales, : 17-34.
- Bird G, Brewer PA, Macklin MG, Balteanu D, Serban M, Driga B, Zaharia S. 2008. River system recovery following the Novat-Rosu tailings dam failure, Maramures County, Romania. Applied Geochemistry, 23(12): 3498-3518. DOI
- Macklin MG, Lewin J. 2008. Alluvial responses to the changing Earth System. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 33: 1374-1395. DOI
- Turner JN, Brewer PA, Macklin MG. 2008. Fluvial-controlled metal and As mobilisation, dispersal and storage on the Río Guadiamar, SW Spain and its implications for long-term contamination fluxes to the Donana wetlands. Science of the Total Environment, 394: 144-161. DOI
- Woodward JC, Hamlin RHB, Macklin MG, Hughes PD, Lewin J. 2008. Glacial activity and catchment dynamics in northwest Greece: Long-term river behaviour and the slackwater sediment record for the last glacial to interglacial transition. Geomorphology, 101: 44-67.
- Macklin MG, Johnstone E, Brewer PA, Swain CH. 2008. The Holocene fluvial history of the Lugg catchment. The Lugg Valley, Herefordshire. Archaeology, Landscape Change and Conservation., 4: 51-66.
- Van De Wiel MJ, Coulthard TJ, Macklin MG, Lewin J. 2007. Embedding reach-scale fluvial dynamics within the CAESAR cellular automaton landscape evolution model. Geomorphology, 90: 283-301. DOI
- Macklin MG, Rumsby BT. 2007. Changing climate and extreme floods in the British uplands. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 32: 168-186.
- Jones AF, Brewer PA, Johnstone E, Macklin MG. 2007. High-resolution interpretative geomorphological mapping of river valley environments using airborne LiDAR data. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 32: 1574-1592.
- Rowberry M, Brewer PA, Macklin MG. 2007. The number, form and origin of sub-horizontal surfaces in north Ceredigion, Wales, UK. Norwegian Journal of Geology, 87: 271-286.
- Foulds SA, Macklin MG. 2006. Holocene land-use change and its impact on river basin dynamics in Great Britain and Ireland. Progress in Physical Geography, 30: 589-604.
- Gregory KJ, Benito G, Dikau R, Golosov V, Johnstone EC, Jones JAA, Macklin MG, Parsons AJ, Passmore DG, Poesen J, Soja R, Starkel L, Thorndycraft VR, Walling DE. 2006. Past hydrological events and global change. Hydrological Processes, 20: 199-204.
- Gregory KJ, Benito G, Dikau R, Golosov V, Jones JAA, Macklin MG, Parsons AJ, Passmore DG, Poesen J, Starkel L, Walling DE. 2006. Past hydrological events related to understanding global change: An ICSU research project. Catena, 66: 2-13.
- Macklin MG, Brewer PA, Hudson-Edwards KA, Bird G, Coulthard TJ, Dennis IA, Lechler PJ, Miller JR, Turner JN. 2006. A geomorphological approach to the management of rivers contaminated by metal mining. Geomorphology, 79: 423-447.
- Gregory KJ, Macklin MG, Walling DE. 2006. Conclusion and extension of protocol. Catena, 66: 184-187.
- Johnstone E, Macklin MG, Lewin J. 2006. The development and application of a database of radiocarbon-dated Holocene fluvial deposits in Great Britain. Catena, 66: 14-23.
- Macklin MG, Benito G, Gregory KJ, Johnstone E, Lewin J, Michczynska DJ, Soja R, Starkel L, Thomdycraft VR. 2006. Past hydrological events reflected in the Holocene fluvial record of Europe. Catena, 66: 145-154.
- Hughes PD, Woodward JC, Gibbard PL, Macklin MG, Gilmour MA, Smith GR. 2006. The glacial history of the Pindus Mountains, Greece. Journal of Geology, 114: 413-434.
- Hudson-Edwards KA, Jamieson HE, Charnock JM, Macklin MG. 2005. Arsenic speciation in waters and sediment of ephemeral floodplain pools, Rios Agrio-Guadiamar, Aznalcollar, Spain. Chemical Geology, 219: 175-192.
- Lewin J, Macklin MG, Johnstone E. 2005. Interpreting alluvial archives: sedimentological factors in the British Holocene fluvial record. Quaternary Science Reviews, 24: 1873-1889.
- Macklin MG, Johnstone E, Lewin J. 2005. Pervasive and long-term forcing of Holocene river instability and flooding in Great Britain by centennial-scale climate change. Holocene, 15: 937-943.
- Coulthard TJ, Lewin J, Macklin MG. 2005. Modelling differential catchment response to environmental change. Geomorphology, 69: 222-241.
- Bird G, Brewer P, Macklin M, Serban M, Balteanu D, Driga B. 2005. Heavy metal contamination in the Aries river catchment, western Romania: Implications for development of the Rosia Montand gold deposit. Journal of Geochemical Exploration, 86: 26-48.
- Brewer PA, Coulthard TJ, Davies JR, Foster GC, Johnstone E, Jones AF, Macklin MG, Morgan CG. 2005. Flooding-related research in Wales: some recent developments. Urban geology in Wales, 2: 229-238.
- Johnstone E, Swain CH, Macklin MG, Jones AF, Brewer PA. 2008. Holocene River Development in the Lower Usk Valley near Caerleon, Monmouthshire, Wales (final report). Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust Ltd., : 84 pp.
- Hudson-Edwards KA, Macklin MG, Brewer PA, Dennis IA. 2008. Management of Metal Mining-Contaminated River Systems in England and Wales. Environment Agency (Science Project Number SC030136/4), : 55 pp.
- Richardson SD, Brasington J, Brewer PA, Macklin MG. 2007. Flood risk and development of the Gazprom headquarters building, St Petersburg: a scoping study. RMJM Ltd. / Gazprom, : 20 pp.
- Macklin MG, Johnstone E, Brewer PA, Swain CH. 2007. Redefining the Holocene fluvial history of the Lugg catchment: new evidence from geomorphological investigations of the Lugg Valley in Herefordshire and its implications for alluvial archaeological studies. Final report for LEADER+ project with Herefordshire Archaeology, : 28 pp.
- Barnie T, Richardson SD, Swain CH, Brewer PA, Macklin MG. 2006. Hydraulic modelling study of an unnamed watercourse, Llyswen, Powys. Mr T. Williams, : 28 pp.
- Brewer PA, Gittins SDR, Macklin MG. 2006. Long-term river channel and planform dynamics in Wales: Phases 1 and 2. Countryside Council for Wales, : 132 pp.
- Johnstone E, Brewer PA, Macklin MG. 2006. River Channel and Floodplain Restoration on the Western Cleddau at Corsydd Llangloffan. Environment Agency Wales, the Countryside Council for Wales and the Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales, : 43 pp.
- Brewer PA, Swain CH, Macklin MG. 2006. Geomorphological assessment of river bank erosion on the River Kenn: Part 2 – implications for the BGSW/KW/2 gas pipeline. Wales and West Utilities, : 14 pp.
- Johnstone E, Swain CH, Macklin MG, Brewer PA. 2006. Late Holocene River Development in the Lower Usk Valley near Caerleon (interim report). Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust Ltd, : 21 pp.
- Brewer PA, Coulthard TJ, Davies J, Macklin MG, Jones AF. 2006. Predictive and investigative modelling of flood hazard in Welsh river catchments. Final report to WAG, BGS, CCW and EA. : Volume 1 44 pp; Volume 2 317 pp.
- Jones AF, Johnstone E, Brewer PA, Macklin MG. 2006. Dating and correlating Late Pleistocene and Holocene alluvial sequences in Welsh river catchments. British Geological Survey, : 145 pp.
- Macklin MG, Brewer PA, Swain CH. 2005. An initial geomorphological/geochemical assessment of the Ecsed-Marsh in Hungary and Romania: towards a strategy of sustainable alluvial wetland restoration and flood protection in the upper Tisa Basin. World Wildlife Fund, : 40 pp.
- Brewer PA, Macklin MG, Swain CH. 2005. Monitoring river bank erosion on the River Severn at Caersws: assessing the potential threat to gas pipeline river crossings. Transco, : 21 pp.
- Brewer PA, Macklin MG, Swain CH. 2005. Geomorphological assessment of river bank erosion on the River Rhiw near Garthmyl: implications for the VN070 gas pipeline river crossing. West and Wales Utilities, : 16 pp.
- Brewer PA, Macklin MG, Swain CH. 2005. Geomorphological assessment of river bank erosion on the River Elwy at St Asaph: implications for the VN082 gas pipeline river crossing. Wales and West Utilities, : 20 pp.
- Brewer PA, Dennis IA, Macklin MG. 2005. The use of geomorphological mapping and modelling for identifying land affected by metal contamination on river floodplains. DEFRA, : 58 pp.
- Richardson SD, Brewer PA, Swain C, Macklin MG. 2005. Geomorphological investigation of the River Aire at Kirkstall Forge, Leeds. Weetwood Environmental Engineering, : 18 pp.
- Swain CH, Brewer PA, Macklin MG, Simkin J. 2005. The ecological, geomorphological and geochemical controls on river shingle heath development on the Afon Rheidol and Afon Ystwyth, Ceredigion. : 164 pp.
- Brewer PA, Jones AF, Macklin MG. 2005. A geomorphological reappraisal of the River Severn Roundabout GCR site. : 38 pp.
- Brewer PA, Macklin MG, Swain CH. 2005. Geomorphological assessment of river bank erosion on the River Kenn: Part 1 - implications for the BGSW/KW/2 gas pipeline. Wales and West Utilities, : 23 pp.
- Brewer PA, Nikolova M, Bird G, Kotsev T, Macklin MG, Mollov M, Swain C. 2005. Source to sink river pollution assessment in northern Bulgaria: preliminary results on contaminant delivery in the lower Danube basin. Modern Management of Mine Producing, Geology and Environmental Protection, : 387-396.