Do I need to have a medical check?

Students from some countries are required to provide a medical certificate confirming that they are clear of Tuberculosis.  If you are a resident of one of the following countries, and you want to come to the UK for longer than 6 months, you must obtain a certificate confirming that you are free from infectious TB before you apply for a visa:


    • Bangladesh
    • Burkina Faso
    • Cambodia
    • Cote d'Ivoire
    • Democratic Republic of the Congo
    • Eritrea
    • Ghana
    • Kenya
    • Laos
    • Niger
    • Pakistan
    • Rwanda
    • Somalia
    • Sudan
    • Tanzania
    • Thailand
    • Togo
    • Uganda


The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) will arrange for you to have a chest X-ray at an accredited clinic or hospital.  If the screening shows that you do not have TB, the IOM will provide you with a certificate which should be submitted with your visa application form.  Please read the Home Office website for further information and details of the clinics and fee in your country.