Office 365 - Student Email
During the Summer 2013 Information Services upgraded the student email system from SquirrelMail to Microsoft Office 365.
- All new student email accounts are automatically set up on Office 365.
- All existing accounts were transferred across during the summer vacation
- All emails in existing mailboxes were copied across. Calendars and Contacts were not copied across.
- All Student Union Club and Society accounts are also on Office 365 and the existing mailboxes copied across
Office 365 gives students access to:
- a web based email client with integrated Calendars and Contacts - you can access your email, calendar and contacts from your computer, the web and mobile device anywhere in the world. Further information in our FAQS
- 25GB Cloud Storage space for your email and documents
- SkyDrive - your documents are stored in the cloud so they are accessible to you wherever you are. Further information in our FAQS
- Office Web Apps - Word, Excel, PowerPoint - you can create, store and edit Office documents online using Office Web Apps
- Multiple Language Support
Security & Reliability
- Microsoft is committed to complying with all of the relevant data protection, privacy laws and Safe Harbour Legislation, and maintains a data security policy which complies with the ISO/IEC 27000 series of international standards
- The Joint Information Systems Committee has, on behalf of UK Universities, worked with Microsoft to ensure compliance with all UK legislation across the board and have persuaded Microsoft to contractually agree to long term storage of data within the EU, though not necessarily within the UK. The University also retains the right to audit the data.
You can find further information about Office 365 here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/academic/
- Access your mail via the web from whereever you are (Where do I find that?)
- Add your Office 365 account into your email handler (How do I do that?)
- Check your emails through your mobile (How do I do that?)
- Recover emails you have deleted in error (How do I do that?)
- Use rules to automatically refile your email (How do I do that?)
All Student and Club/Society accounts on Office 365 have 25GB of storage for email and files. The file hosting service in Office 365 is called SkyDrive and includes the Office Web Apps: Excel, Word, PowerPoint and OneNote.
- With SkyDrive your documents are stored in the cloud so you can access your files from any computer connected to the Internet via a web browser following the instructions here
- In addition you can connect SkyDrive to Outlook on your computer following the instructions here
- You can create new documents within SkyDrive using the inbuilt Office apps and following the instructions here
- You can upload existing documents to SkyDrive using the instructions here
- You can edit your documents using the inbuilt office web apps from any web browser
- SkyDrive allows you to check out documents you are working on, check them back in when you have finished (instructions here)
- SkyDrive also allows you to create and save different versions of your document so you can revert to your original if you wish. You can set this up using the instructions here
- You can delete your files (instructions here) and recover files you have deleted in error (instructions here)
- You can also print your documents from SkyDrive (instructions here)