Welcome to Information Services (IS) - Distance Learning Students
Information Services provide IT and library services to registered students at Aberystwyth University, subject to Information Services Regulations, Policies and Guidelines.
To make use of our facilities you will need an Aberystwyth University IT account and an Aber Card.
Your IT account gives you access to:
- University email and file storage
- your student record
- connect your own devices to the University network
- computing facilities on campus
- electronic information sources e.g. ebooks, ejournals
- Blackboard, the University virtual learning environment
- your library account to manage your loans
- software free to you under the University license
- publish webpages on the University's server
- our IT Repair service for students
- ApAber - free from your App Store
You will be able activate your University IT account online shortly before your course begins and you will be emailed with instructions for doing this as soon as your account is ready.
- The University use email as an official form of communication and you must check your University email regularly to ensure you receive important communications from the University.
- You must change your password annually. You will be emailed when you need to do this and if you do not change your password by the date given your account will lock and you will not be able to access University resources, for example, email, Blackboard, e-journals.
Your Aber Card is used:
- as your student id
and when visiting campus as part of a study school or for research:
- to purchase food in University hospitality outlets
- for library borrowing, including the use of self-issue machines
- to access 24-hour computer rooms
- to access the library out of core hours (to enter and exit)
- for printing, photocopying and scanning
- as your Student Union card
- as your Sports Centre card
Once you have activated your IT account you should apply for your Aber card online so that it is ready for you when you come to campus.
Special arrangements are in place to ensure that distance learning students are able to make the best use of Information Services.
Primo (electronic resources)
- Information Services subscribes to a wide range of online information sources including e-journals and e-books which are available off-campus to distance learning students. These are available via Primo:
- Visit http://primo.aber.ac.uk/
- Click on Databases A-Z
- Instructions for accessing these resources off-campus can be found in our accessing e-resources off-campus FAQ
- If you require a search of a database that you are unable to access yourself, we will carry out the search and forward it to you. There may be a charge for this service.
Help and support
Help and support is available to help you make the best use of the facilities and services we offer:
- the library and learning resources pages will provide you with information on making the best use of the University's libraries and collections
- the subject information pages help you to fast track to the resources directly relevant to your subject of study and will also introduce you to your subject librarian who you can contact if you need help
- the information literacy pages will give you tips and advice on finding and using resources and improving your information literacy skills
- the frequently asked questions pages provide instructions and advice in the use of our facilities and services
- Primo - the Library catalogue, is available on and off campus at: http://primo.aber.ac.uk
- You will need to log on with your email/computing username and password to access your library account and to renew books online.
- When you have registered with Information Services, you will be entitled to borrow up to 20 books in total from the Aberystwyth University libraries - from the usual standard loan and special distance learner collections only.
- The postal loan service is available only for Department of Information Studies undergraduate and taught postgraduate distance learning students. The Library will forward, on request, loan items to the address we have on file for you. You may return items by post, as long as they are sent by recorded or registered post. Until they are received by the Library, all items are your responsibility. Please take particular notice of the return due date for loans. Fines will be raised on overdue items.
- Department of Information Studies undergraduate and taught postgraduate distance learning students should contact the appropriate library to request books.
- The normal loan period will be four weeks. Renewals by email, telephone, post or fax will normally be allowed if items are not required by other users.
- Please be aware that we may pass on to an external courier company, any home or work address which you have provided to us, for the purposes of delivering requested books.
- Books should be posted or returned to the appropriate library, using the address at the bottom of each library webpage:
- Photocopies: copies of articles in journals that we have available in the library may be ordered by completing a copyright declaration form and arranging payment of photocopying and charges (Minimum charge £2.50 and 5p per page thereafter).
- Document Supply – Articles: Articles that we do not have available in the library may be obtained via the Document Supply service. There will be a charge for using this service. Please note that we cannot provide books or theses via the document supply service for distance learning students. These should be ordered via your local library.
- AU Distance learning students can access library resources in other universities.
- Special Library induction sessions may be arranged if you attend courses in Aberystwyth.
Distance Learner Binding
We can print, bind and submit the bound copy of your thesis direct to your department (if agreed by them). We can also post you a copy of your bound thesis. Please see our FAQS for more information
Preparing for binding
- Check with your department for any specific requirements they have for the binding of thesis.
- Please include your ORIGINAL SIGNED DECLARATIONS if required by your department.
- Please ensure that all the material to be bound is in good condition.
- Please ensure pages are supplied in the order in which they are to be bound.
- Only A4 size pages are accepted.
- Please leave an extra 1cm on the left hand side of the work as this will be tucked into the binding spine.
- Please allow 3 working days (7 working days for distance learners) for your binding to be done. The service functions on a 'first come first served' basis.
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: email@example.com