Archives - Information for Readers
Access to the Archives
If you are planning to visit the Aberystwyth University Reading Room, it is essential that you book a place in advance, and pre-order any archival material you wish to view. It is usually advisable to make an appointment a week in advance to ensure that you can be accommodated.
Any member of the University, any visiting scholar and any other members of the public may consult material from the archives.
To use the archives, proof of identification is required. Staff and students of the University should bring with them their valid Aber Card and external readers should bring with them ID showing their photograph and address (normally a passport or driving licence). On each visit ALL readers will be required to read the Rules for Readers and sign a Readers Statement.
Access is only within the following opening hours:
|Monday to Thursday||9.00am and 5.00pm||
Closed for lunch 1-2pm
|Friday||9.00am and 4.00pm||
Closed for lunch 1-2pm
Please note that the archives closes for bank holidays and for 1 week around both Christmas and Easter.
Rules for Readers:
- The AU member of staff supervising the archives has the authority to decide the quantity of documents issued at any one time to a user (normally no more than 3 items will be issued at one time).
- Items should not be re-arranged or taken out of the order in which they are produced. Readers are requested to make staff aware of any material which appears to be out of place or in the wrong order.
- Only pencils should be used in the research area. No inks, correcting fluid or pens of any kind are allowed near archival material. No marks must be made on the documents.
- Do not lean on the documents to keep them flat or to take notes.
- No smoking, eating or drinking is permitted in the supervised research area, or anywhere in the Library.
- No coats, briefcases, bags or enclosed containers may be taken into the supervised research area.
- No archival material is available for loan.
- Documents may not be taken out of the supervised research area.
- Lap-top computers are permitted, provided that they do not cause a disturbance to other readers.
- AU reserves the right to withhold items from use on conservation grounds.
- AU reserves the right to determine, on conservation and preservation grounds, whether an item is suitable for any form of copying. No photocopying of pre-1900 material or bound material is permitted. Photocopying, if required, will be undertaken by library staff and normal copyright rules will apply. Readers must complete a copyright declaration form before any copies are made. The use of hand-held scanners and cameras is not permitted. However, facilities are available for creating digital images.
- Access to certain sensitive material may be restricted in line with AU policies.
Aberystwyth University - Archive Policies
These policies cover:
- The institutional archives of Aberystwyth University (which are under the management of the Registrar and Secretary):
Institutional Archive Collection and Acquisitions Policy
- The deposited archives which are held within Information Services (which fall under the management of the Director of Information Services):
Deposit Archive Collection and Acquisitions Policy
Archives, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 628593 Email: email@example.com