Welcome to the Special Collections pages. Information Services holds a unique and rare collection of special materials. We hope our collections can be used for learning and research, and for general interest.
Highlights from our collections:
George Powell collection
A collection of books, manuscripts and objets d'art donated and bequeathed by George Powell of Nanteos between 1879 and 1882. Included in the collection is an eight volume set of Warburton’s edition of Shakespeare published in 1747. It was used by Samuel Johnson in the preparation of his dictionary and the pages are accordingly heavily marked and underlined.
The Appleton Collection includes material on colour printing and publishers' case binding from about 1840 to 1890.
The Horton Collection of Children’s Material contains over 800 items showing the development of children’s literature during the two hundred years from the mid-eighteenth century to 1913.
Exhibitions, News and Events
Rare book and special works are regularly displayed in the Hugh Owen and Thomas Parry Libraries. They range from rare and private press books to copies that were at one time in the libraries of national figures, to historical maps and photographs and reviews from student magazines. Find details of these displays on our Special Collections blog
Guidlines for viewing rare books
The items in the special collections in our libraries are of antiquarian value, examples of fine printing or regarded as classics. Many of these collections are held in humidity controlled locations and access to them is restricted.
Brief catalogue records are available and can be searched at: http://primo.aber.ac.uk/. The production of full catalogue records for rare book collections is ongoing. When you have located an item you wish to consult in the Library, submit a request online.
Rare books can only be viewed between 9.00 – 16.30 Monday - Friday (excluding Bank Holidays). Please allow 24 hours from the time of your request before calling at the Enquiry Desk. Visitors will be required to fill in an application form upon arrival.
- Please use pencil only to make notes (Ink, correction fluid and pens are not allowed to be used near the material).
- Ensure hands are clean and try not to touch or handle the pages more than necessary as acids and oils in the skin can damage paper.
- Gloves do not need to be worn.
- A book pillow is available for supporting fragile, large or tightly bound items.
- Bindings should be opened as little as possible and please always support the spine.
- Eating and drinking is not permitted when consulting rare books.
- Any requests for copies must be made to Customer Services staff, and carried out by Media and Sales.
- There will be a charge for copying from rare books.
Searching Primo, the library catalogue for our collections
Our blog is dedicated to the new displays and collections of rare books and archives available at Aberystwyth University.
What can the Special Collections do for you?
Collection Management, Information Services, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 1891 Fax: 01970 62 2404 Email: email@example.com