What are the details of the CLA licence which permits Information Services to digitise printed material?
Library staff are permitted to scan and digitise items in University libraries under the terms of the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA) UUK / Guild HE Basic Licence for photocopying and scanning: http://www.cla.co.uk/UUKguildhe_members.php
To summarise, the CLA licence
- allows the creation of digital copies from originals which are either owned by the University, or from a copyright fee paid (CFP) copy of a chapter / article supplied by an organisation holding a document delivery licence with CLA e.g. the British Library
- allows photocopying and scanning of (whichever is the greater) up to 10% or one chapter of a book or one article of a journal issue
- allows scanning of items to be available to students on a course of study
- allows scanning for educational purposes only
- does not allow blanket scanning or commercial onward use (scanned copies are not intended to substitute primary purchases)
- covers UK and US publications (and some other International Territories) - further exclusions are listed here:
Digitised items can be made available to students via Blackboard. If you would like to make use of this service please see our webpage for full details.
Digitisation Team, Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Fax: 01970 62 2404 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org