Resources for Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences
Click through the tabs to explore the resources we have available:
The printed material e.g. books, journals, reference and quick reference for Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences are found in a few locations.
Key areas are found on Levels E and F of the Hugh Owen Library
Q Science (general)
QH Natural history & biology
QP Physiology (incl. biochemistry)
S, SB Soil science, agriculture, crops
S673-S675 Agricultural Engineering
S900-S972 Countryside management
SF Animal science
GB Physical Geography
HC / TD Environmental management
HD / HT Countryside management
HM Sociology and economics
Additional material can be found in the Stapledon Reading Room on the Gogerddan Campus.
All the electronic resources for Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences can be found through Primo where you can discover individual resources such as citation databases, e-journals and e-books, selected websites, subject gateways, data and media resources, news, reference materials and library catalogues.
Visit http://primo.aber.ac.uk/ and Sign In, then click on Resources A-Z to find important e-resources such as BIOSIS, CAB Direct, CAB E-Books, Web of Science and ScienceDirect. Information about each resource includes essential information regarding on- and off-campus access.
Find a summary of browsing and searching in Primo here: https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/1776
There is also a short video describing Searching Primo Articles and More for Journal Articles at: https://abercast.aber.ac.uk/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=7e6f0149-a807-46af-8ffa-d82cbcc913b9
Note on Accessing AU E-Resources
Most AU e-resources and e-journals can be accessed on-campus, or off-campus using VPN, without the need for a password. Access requirements for each resource are given in our ElecInfo A-Z list, E-journals@Aber and in Primo.
- If you are visiting these resources from off-campus, please follow the advice on using the VPN authentication tool in this FAQ first. There is also a short demonstration about Setting up VPN at: http://abercast.aber.ac.uk/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=fe6490a4-9e8d-4aa4-a36e-e1bb580a5876. VPN enables your machine to become part of the campus network, without being physically connected to it.
- Institutional Access or Shibboleth authentication is required by some resources, or when using Primo.
- For resources that require a specific username/password, please see the Resource-specific username and password list
Key Resources for IBERS
|Core IBERS databases|
|CAB Direct (CABI)|
National Non-Food Crops Centre (NNFCC) Click on Search icon
|Web of Science Core Collection|
|Web of Science - All Databases Cross Search|
|CAB eBooks Current File (CABI)|
|eScholarship Editions (University of California)|
|M Books (Univ Michigan)|
|Information Training Resources|
|Internet for Biodiversity|
|Internet for Veterinary Medicine|
- for finding the latest news about the company I am applying for/attending interview.
|Companies House - trial beta service||
- to access data for a UK company pre-interview/job application.
- to access data for a UK charity for pre-interview/job application.
- for finding out more about the industry/sector I am applying for.
- Annual Reports from over 5000 companies worldwide
|Annual Reviews Journals|
Cambridge Core (Journals and Books)
|Canadian Science Publishing (NRC Research Press) Journals|
|E-Journals Directory - Botany|
|E-Journals Directory - Microbiology|
|Highwire Press (free papers)|
|Highwire Press (all titles browse)|
|Royal Society of Chemistry|
|External Library Catalogues|
SUNCAT (UK-Wide Journals Catalogue)
|All the Virology on the WWW|
Eldis – Development Studies Portal
|ePIC - Kew Plant Information Centre|
|Genesys - Crop Genetic Resources portal|
|Internet Directory for Botany|
|JSTOR Plant Science|
|Librarians' Index Internet|
OFFSTATS – Official Statistics on the Web
|General Databases and Resources|
|BioRXiv (Biology Preprints Server)|
British National Formulary (NICE website)
|CERA GM Crops Bibliography|
CiteSeerX – Computing and Information Science Repository (free registration required)
|DiVA - Academic Archive Online (Scandinavian Universities & Research Repository)|
|DOE Information Bridge|
|EU Farm Accountancy Data Network (via MTT)|
|Lexis®Library (law database)|
PubMed - database
Semantic Scholar (Neuroscience/Computer Science)
|USPTO Patent Database|
See our Information Skills pages for information on:
- finding printed materials in the library
- finding and evaluating electronic information
- keeping up to date in your subject of study
- effective study and bibliographic referencing
- library induction and skills training
For information about publishing your papers using either Gold Open Access pre-payment route or the Green Open Access repository route at AU, please see our Research Good Practice website at: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/research/good-practice/open-access/
The University's collections contain a wide range of materials, including theses and past papers. You can find details of all our collections here.
Your Subject Librarian is Steve Smith (01970 823051) firstname.lastname@example.org