Resources for Geography and Earth Sciences
Hi I'm Steve your subject librarian! These pages are designed to help you get the most out of our resources for Geography and Earth Sciences. Please get in touch with any questions, I'm here to help!
Contact me via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 01970 (82)3051
Click through the tabs to explore the resources available.
The main collection of printed material e.g. books, journals, reference and quick reference for Geography and Earth Sciences is found in the Hugh Owen Library.
Key areas on level F:
G Geography (general)
G141 Historical Geography
GA Mathematical Geography
GB Physical Geography
GE Environmental Sciences
GF Human Geography
HF Economic Geography
HT Urban Geography
Key areas on level E:
QE Geology / Earth Sciences
QH Natural History
RA Medical Geography & Climatology
SB National Parks
TD Environmental Technology
All the electronic resources for Geography and Earth Sciences can be found through Primo. Primo includes key resources such as citation databases, e-journals and e-books, selected websites, subject gateways, data and media resources, news, reference materials and library catalogues.
Visit http://primo.aber.ac.uk/ and Sign In, then click on Resources A-Z to find an alphabetical listing of our major e-resources such as Digimap (Edina), ScienceDirect and Web of Knowledge. This list includes essential information regarding access on and off-campus.
Find a summary of browsing and searching in Primo here: https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/1776
There is also a short video available on Searching Primo Articles and More for Journal Articles:
Note on Accessing AU E-Resources
Most AU e-resources can be accessed on-campus, or off-campus using VPN, without the need for a password. Access requirements for each resource are given in our ElecInfo A-Z list, E-journals@Aber and in Primo.
- If you are visiting these resources from off-campus, please follow the advice on using the VPN authentication tool in this FAQ first. VPN enables your machine to become part of the campus network, without being physically connected to it.
There is also a short video available describing Setting up VPN at: https://abercast.aber.ac.uk/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=fe6490a4-9e8d-4aa4-a36e-e1bb580a5876
- Institutional Access or Shibboleth authentication is required by some resources, or when using Primo.
- For resources that require a specific username/password, please see the Resource-specific username and password list
Key Subject databases for DGES include:
|Ebscohost Green File|
|Web of Science Core Collection|
|Web of Science - All Databases Search|
- for finding the latest news about the company you are applying for/attending interview.
|Companies House - beta trial service||
- to access data for a UK company pre-interview/job application.
- to access data for a UK charity for pre-interview/job application.
|Business Source Complete||
- for finding out more about the industry/sector you are applying for.
Annual Report from over 5000 companies worldwide
|Electronic Journal Collections|
|American Chemical Society (ACS) Journals Search|
|American Society for Microbiology (ASM) Journals|
|Annual Reviews Journals|
|Cambridge Core (books and journals)|
Highwire Press (free papers)
Highwire Press (all titles browse)
|Royal Society of Chemistry|
|ScienceDirect - Journals (Elsevier)|
|Explore the British Library|
|National Library of Wales|
See our Information Skills pages for information on:
- finding printed materials in the library
- finding and evaluating electronic information
- keeping up to date in your subject of study
- effective study and bibliographic referencing
- library induction and skills training
For information about publishing your papers using either the Gold Open Access pre-payment route or the Green Open Access repository route at AU, please see our Research Good Practice website at: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/research/good-practice/open-access/
The University's collections contain a wide range of materials, including theses and past papers. You can find details of all our collections here.
Services for Academic Staff
Services for Academic Staff
Your subject librarian can provide skills training for students and staff, resource evaluation and more. For full details see this page.