News & Events
On Bank Holiday Mondays, 7th and 28th May, the libraries will be open with a limited staffed service (as offered weekends and evenings) in the Hugh Owen and Thomas Parry libraries.
- Hugh Owen Library: Monday 7th & 28th May 24/7 as usual
- Thomas Parry Library: Monday 7th & 28th May 7:00-22:00
- Physical Sciences Library: Monday 7th & 28th May 8:30-19:30
Further information http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/opening-hours/
21/05/2018Feeling a bit stressed? Visit the library's anti-stress table on Level D of the Hugh Owen library. You’ll find colouring booklets, Sudoku, helpful books and some board games that might help with your revision! Enjoy!
Information Services wishes everyone an enjoyable summer vacation. Details on borrowing from the library over the summer can be found below:
- Standard Loan: From Monday, 21st May 2018 until Friday, 28th September 2018
- Three Day Loan: From Wednesday, 30th May 2018 until Friday, 28th September 2018
- Short Loan: Usual loan periods apply
For library opening times over summer, please check the libraries' webpages: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/opening-hours/
28/06/2017A reminder that Information Services carries out essential maintenance on the University’s ICT services on Tuesday mornings. Access to all services, including email and web access, must be considered "At Risk" between 7am and 10am. Further information at: https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/94 We apologise for any inconvenience.
Congratulations on completing your studies! We wish you all the best for the future.
Please remember that you must return all borrowed items to the appropriate library. You can check for any items you still have out on loan, or any fines you need to pay by logging into My Account on Primo - the library catalogue, or by contacting Information Services. Fines can be paid online.
Your computing account will lock at the end of August and you will no longer have access to email, Blackboard, VPN or the University network. For information on what you need to do before your account closes please see the following FAQ: https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/126
We are committed to providing high quality services and resources to our students and staff. To help us achieve this, we have key performance indicators (KPIs) based on the feedback that our students give us through our annual Information Services User Survey and the relevant National Student Survey questions. We also report annually on our Service Standards to ensure that we meet users' requirements and that we are clear on our provision.
See our library and IT KPIs and Service Standards at: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/about/
Dear students! We know the exam period can be stressful. The Library is here to support your success, therefore we have prepared a few ways of tackling exam stress:
- Join the 'book lovers lunch break' to talk about books we love, inspire each other and have a cup of hot chocolate together. We will meet on Wednesday 16th May at 12.30 o clock in the group study room on Level D in the Hugh Owen Library.
- Make use of helpful apps, listen to podcasts and watch Ted Talks on Positive Psychology, dealing with stress, mental health and exam performance: How to tackle exam stress?
- Do some colouring of selected images from library collections provided to you or have a go at one of our sudoku puzzles
18/05/2018Find out more about the Sconul Access Scheme which is open to staff, research postgrads, full-time taught postgrads and part-time, distance learning and placement students.
To access go to https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/past-papers/ and choose the module from your department list.
Past papers are available for most modules for the past 5 years. You will be asked to login with your AU username and password to view. If the past paper you want to view is not there, it is because your department has not made it available to view online.
Help make the Library a good place to work in by keeping it clean. Tidy up after yourself - use the recycling bins and avoid leaving litter on the tables or stairs.
Help improve our campus with cleaner, litter free libraries and learning spaces.
Information Services wishes everyone an enjoyable break.
Information Services will operate vacation opening hours from Sunday 3rd June until Friday 21st September 2018:
Hugh Owen Library
- The Hugh Owen Library will close at 6pm on Saturday 2nd June and will be open Monday to Friday 08:30 – 17:30 during the summer vacation
- The Hugh Owen Library will be open from 10am to 6pm every weekend in September, and until 10pm on weekdays from 3rd September
Thomas Parry Library
- The Thomas Parry Library will close at 6pm on Saturday 2nd June and will be open Monday to Friday 08:30 – 17:30 during the summer vacation
- The Thomas Parry Library will be closed from 5:30pm on Friday 10th August onwards
Physical Sciences Library
- The Physical Sciences Library is open Monday to Friday 08:30 – 17:30 during the summer vacation
Every library will be closed on Monday, the 27th August which is a Bank Holiday.
09/05/2018During the summer vacation 2018, Information Services will be closing our Thomas Parry Library to fit in with the University decision to focus all undergraduate teaching on Penglais campus. To keep up with the latest on how we plan to move our materials over to Hugh Owen Library, and find out how any changes might affect you, visit https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/news/tplsummer18/
Use the free Inter-Site service. If you need to order a book located in another AU library – sign into Primo, check whether the book is available and click on the 'Inter-Site' option. Books ordered before 9am should be available for pick up on the same day (except for the Physical Sciences Library).
More information available at: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/library/intersite/
20/04/2018Work to repair the exterior walls containing the entrance to the 24/7 Joseph Parry computer room in town (part of 10 Laura Place) starts Monday 23 April. From Monday 30 April access to the computer room will be restricted to other side of the building. This will mean using the building's main entrance door to access the computer room 24/7, using the stairs or lift to access the lower floor to access the computer room during this period of work. This work and thus change of access will continue till the end of term, 02 June. Please see the image which shows the temporary entrance to the Joseph Parry computer room during this period of building work.
To accommodate a large online exam, Information Services will be temporarily closing the Hugh Owen Library EL6 computer room on Wednesday 31st May. The room will be closed between 09:00 and 16:00,
On this day computers will be available to students in the following locations:
- Level D Hugh Owen Library
- Level E Hugh Owen Library, (main floor and Iris De Freitas Room)
- Level F Hugh Owen Library (main floor and Tom Lloyd silent study suite)
- Physical Sciences Library
- Student Union
- Llanbadarn Campus
- Lounge@Rosser and Lounge@PJM
- Old College and Joseph Parry
To see the numbers of computers available in each location, take a look at www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/computers/rooms/availability/
We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
16/05/2018Box of Broadcasts (BoB) will be switched off on the morning of 11th June 2018 and will be completely unavailable during this time. Forward scheduling on the Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) will be available up to 11th June and then will restart once the move is complete. Programmes broadcast during the down-period will be available retrospectively for most channels. Please note that Off-Airs can be ordered in advance during the down-time via Television and Radio Index for Learning and Teaching (TRILT) and can be prioritised during this 3-day period.
Blackboard will be unavailable for use between Tuesday 3rd July and Thursday 5th July 2018 for annual summer maintenance work. During this time, Panopto and Turnitin will also be unavailable.
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: email@example.com