|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminars / Tutorials||1 per fortnight (more if required)|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Continuous Assessment: An extended essay of approximately 5,000 words||100%|
|Supplementary Assessment||All failed or missing elements of assessment to be re-taken or made good.|
On completion of this module, a student should be able to demonstrate an ability:
- to undertake independent study;
- to plan and present an extended investigation;
- to demonstrate skills which are associated with library-based study: effective use of bibliographic searches; an ability to choose relevant sources; a sound knowledge and understanding of sources; critical interpretation of sources; an ability to synthesise sources; an ablity to present coherent argument.
This module provides students with an opportunity to investigate a topic of their own choice, in consultation with the Director of Undergraduate Studies. It involves independent study under the guidance of a member of staff. It necessitates wide reading, leading to an extended essay. Prior approval from the Director of Undergraduate Studies is needed before pre-registering and registering on this module.
- to encourage independent study;
- to develop skills which are associated with library-based study;
- to achieve knowledge and understanding of a topic which is chosen by a student and approved by the Department.
No set syllabus. A plan of study is worked out by the student under the guidance of a member of staff.
This module is at CQFW Level 6