|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Lecture||16 Hours. 8 x 2 hours|
|Seminars / Tutorials||6 Hours. 3 x 2hours|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||One 3,000 word - concentrating on 1 or 2 particular key areas of law, requiring some independent legal research, and the application of acquired legal knowledge and understanding to the analysis of a factual problem within a European context.||30%|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours||70%|
|Supplementary Exam||Resit for main exam; resubmission of assignment|
On completion of this module, students will be able to:
- appreciate the nature of, and the legal consequences for business, of Britain's membership of the European Union;
- demonstrate a working knowledge of key areas of law affecting business in England and Wales, to include knowledge of the impact of the law of the European Union upon domestic law:
- apply legal principles to factual problems affecting domestic businesses trading with Europe.
The aim of the module is to give those concerned with the management of business trading with Europe essential grounding in those key areas of law most likely to impinge upon those businesses.
- the treaty structure of the E.U. and E.C., and the organisation of the E.U. into three 'pillars'
- the role, working and interrelationship of the main E.U. institutions (Council, Commission, Parliament, Court of Justice and Court of First Instance, Court of Auditors)
- sources: primary and secondary categories of E.C. law (regulations, directives, and other major types of measure); the E.C. legislative process; the role of the E.C.J. in the development of E.C. law
- the relationship between the E.U./E.C. legal system and member state legal orders
- fundamental concepts of the E.C. legal order: supremacy and direct effect of E.C. rules; protection of basic rights
- single market rules: free movement of goods, capital and workers; freedom of establishment and the right to provide services
- competition rules
- key areas of Employment Law (equal pay and treatment)
This module is at CQFW Level 7