|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminars / Tutorials||1 x 3 hour visit|
|Lecture||2 x 1 hour lectures per week|
|Seminars / Tutorials||2 x 3 hour seminar/oral presentation|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Report Agricultural systems group oral presentation and individual written report (1000 words) Outcomes 2, 3, 4, 5||40%|
|Semester Exam||1.5 Hours Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5||60%|
|Supplementary Assessment||1.5 Hours Examination 60%; Assignment 40% Students must take elements of assessment equivalent to those that led to failure of the module. Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Identify the way in which land is used as a primary resource.
2. Identify and describe the range, distribution and scale of farming in the UK.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the factors that influence agricultural productivity
4. Identify and describe the development of agricultural policy and its influence on farming practices.
5. Discuss the essential components of livestock and crop production systems.
This module will allow students to identify the concepts attached to land ownership, transfer and management as well as rural/agricultural business activity. It will demonstrate the parameters that define the environment in which the businesses operate and determine which factors affect the way in which land is utilised as a primary resource.
1. The factors that influence land use patterns
2. Forms of land occupation and transfer
3. Introduction to agriculture and the structure of the UK industry
4. The range, distribution and scale of farming systems in the UK and the influence of environment on agriculture and choice of system
5. Manipulation and management of basic resources
6. The policy framework and its impact
7. The demand for food and characteristics of consumer behaviour
8. Trends in farm incomes
9. Sustainable agriculture
10. Examples of crop, grassland, milk, meat, fibre and egg production
11. Diversification of farm businesses
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number|
|Improving own Learning and Performance|
|Information Technology||Use of Powerpoint will be an essential component of the Oral Presentation|
|Personal Development and Career planning|
|Research skills||Students will be expected to research an agricultural enterprise of their choice in preparation for the Oral Presentation|
|Subject Specific Skills|
|Team work||Oral Presentation will be prepared and delivered in groups of three|
This module is at CQFW Level 4