|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Other||2x2 hour group sessions in Semester 1 and Semester 2. Otherwise, no formal contact time but students will be assigned a supervisor to provide guidance and advice during the course of the research and the writing of the dissertation.|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Produce a 15,000 - 20,000 word (maximum) Research Thesis.||90%|
|Semester Assessment||Present a research seminar.||10%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Presentation marks to be carried forward. Resubmit research thesis.|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Independently formulate research design and hypotheses.
2. Demonstrate their knowledge of the theoretical principles of scientific research.
3. Place research in appropriate wider contexts.
4. Search relevant literature and databases.
5. Undertake independent fieldwork
6. Undertake appropriate laboratory analyses.
7. Demonstrate proficiency in field and laboratory techniques.
8. Present the results and conclusions of their research in a coherent manner in the form of a professionally produced dissertation.
9. Present the results and conclusions of their research in a coherent manner in the form of an oral presentation.
10. Work to a tight schedule.
The research project is an independent study on a chosen research question in Glaciology. Students will have the possibility to specialise in the use of specific technique(s) in order to solve particular research questions. Students will be expected to define a research problem and to use appropriate methodologies to solve the problem.
- Define research problem.
- Complete necessary background reading.
- Complete necessary field and laboratory work.
- Complete written thesis.
- Prepare and deliver research presentation.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||The research may involve the analysis of data. In some cases statistical tests will be performed on the data-set.|
|Communication||Students will present their work to their colleagues and to members of staff through the medium of a formal presentation.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Students will conduct much of this work independently; therefore there is a requirement for them to read appropriate literature and to ensure that they maintain good time-management in order to complete the research on time.|
|Information Technology||Students will use a variety of software, depending on the emphasis of their project.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Skills gained will be of value in any professional career.|
|Problem solving||Students are expected to define a research problem and to use appropriate techniques to solve that problem.|
|Research skills||Research skills are integral to the successful completion of the module as it is based on research enquiry.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Depends on topic chosen.|
|Team work||As this is an independent project, teamwork is only anticipated if safety considerations in the field demand it.|
This module is at CQFW Level 7