|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminars / Tutorials||10 x 2-hour seminars|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Seminar participation and performance||20%|
|Semester Assessment||2 x 2,000-word essays (equally weighted, 40% each)||80%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Resubmit or resit failed elements and/or make good any missing elements||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. participate in social debates concerning the study of the interactions of 'Memoria historica' and Cinema in Contemporary Spain;
2. show understanding of the historical background of current representations of Franco's Spain and Democratic Spain;
3. show understanding of the current Spanish division between the old generation and the new generation;
4. demonstrate skills in comparative analysis and show familiarity with cinematic and technical vocabulary;
5. engage critically with a variety of scholarly material including monographs and specialised articles;
6. present their findings in a logical, organised and scholarly fashion both orally - through debates and presentations in Spanish - and in written form - through essays and text commentaries written in Spanish.
The study of this subject also provides a background in which to understand contemporary debates in Spanish society about politics, national identity and the relationship between 'Las dos espanas'.
This course studies the phenomena known as 'Memoria historica' and 'Tiempo perdido' in contemporary Spanish cinema. Through a series of contemporary films the students will put into practice comparative analyses between different representations of main historical events. The period starts with contemporary representations of the Spanish Civil War and will end with the current social cinema. The aim of this course is to consider how these historical events and current events are being portrayed in Spanish cinema. A series of seminars - based around work on cinematic sources - will allow students to explore and debate the views on the 'Memoria historica'.
1. 'Guerra civil': Rewriting and revising the Spanish Civil War
2. 'Franco's Spain': The conflict after the conflict
3. 'The early freedom: La Movida Madrilena'; 'Pop Art and Popular Culture' in cinema.
4. The Democratic cinema (1982-1999): The self-reflexive view
5. 'Siglo XXI': Provocation and social debate
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||n/a|
|Communication||Students will develop oral communication in seminars; written communication will be developed in assessments and exam, both in Spanish and English.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Students will be able to assess their own progress week by week through their increased understanding of the issues raised and the skills developed.|
|Information Technology||Students will use on-line journals and source collections; delivery of course materials and information via e-learning system.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Students will acquire transferable skills; in-depth acquaintance with Cinema as an academic subject.|
|Problem solving||Students will select appropriate reading material, developing evaluative analysis and critical skills and formulating a detailed argument.|
|Research skills||Students will analyse cinematic representations in their political/historical contexts and synthesize information in an evaluative argument.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Students wil acquire Modern Spanish vocabulary; slang expressions; corrupted grammatical structures, mispronunciations, 'ideolecto', 'fasolecto' and 'sociolecto'.|
|Team work||Students will participate in debates and group presentations in seminars.|
Reading ListRecommended Text
Caparrós Lera, José Ma. (1983) Cine español bajo el régimen de Franco (1936-1975) Barcelona, Universitat de Barcelona Primo search Caparrós Lera, José Ma. (1992) El cine español de la democracia: de la muerte de Franco al "cambio" socialista (1975-1989) Barcelona, Editorial Anthropos Primo search Monterde Lozoya, José Enrique (1993) Veinte años de cine español (1973-1992): un cine bajo la paradoja Barcelona, Paidós Ibérica Primo search Sánchez-Biosca, Vicente (2006) Cine y Guerra Civil Española: del mito a la memoria. Prólogo de José-Carlos Mainer Madrid, Alianza Editorial Primo search Vidal i Llorens, Nuria (1990) El cine de Pedro Almodóvar 2a ed.. Barcelona, Destino Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 5