- Ms Gillian C Pomfret (Senior Lecturer - Sheffield Hallam University)
|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminar||6 x 1 Hour Seminars|
|Lecture||10 x 2 Hour Lectures|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours Unseen written examination||50%|
|Semester Assessment||Coursework assignment||50%|
|Supplementary Exam||2 Hours Unseen written examination Repeat failed elements||50%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Coursework assignment Repeat failed elements||50%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
* Discuss how marketing is used within the tourism industry;
* Explain and evaluate the role of marketing research in tourism;
* Critically evaluate the role of segmentation in tourism;
* Critically analyse and apply the marketing mix to the tourism industry;
* Critically analyse and apply strategic marketing planning to tourism.
Students on tourism schemes will have studied a number of modules concerned with marketing in years 1 and 2. These are generic in nature providing a detailed background into marketing in general. This module will apply the marketing principles learned in these modules specifically to the tourism industry to make the linkage between tourism and marketing. This will be developed through a case study approach.
This module details through a case study approach, how marketing principles are applied within the tourism industry. It considers different elements of marketing such as segmentation, marketing research, the marketing mix and electronic marketing and through a range of detailed case studies evaluates how they are applied in practice. Examples of success and failure illustrate the importance of understanding the market, customers and of developing the right products and services to meet customer needs. The module is delivered through interactive discursive lectures based around case study material. There are also two visits to tourism destinations or attractions to illustrate practice in the field and to provide students with the opportunity to talk to professionals involved in tourism marketing. The assignment will evaluate the marketing of a tourism destination or business and plan how it can be improved.
- Tourism marketing and the marketing of tourism;
- Marketing planning for tourism;
- Segmentation in tourism marketing;
- The role of market and marketing research;
- The operation of the marketing mix in practice;
- The role of electronic marketing in tourism marketing.
- Destination marketing;
- Heritage marketing;
- Marketing in the airline industry;
- Nation state tourism marketing;
- Hospitality marketing.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number|
|Communication||Students will write an assessed report as part of their assignment.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance|
|Information Technology||Students will be required to carry out literature searches and to use work processing in the production of a report.|
|Personal Development and Career planning|
|Research skills||Students will be required to carry out desk-top research into a tourism destination or business. This will form the basis of a report.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Students will develop skills in tourism marketing.|
This module is at CQFW Level 6