- Professor Pete Vukusic (Professor - Exeter University)
|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Lecture||22 x 1 Hour Lectures|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Online assessments||50%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the physics of semiconductor junctions.
2. Explain the role of charge transport and light-matter interaction in the operation of semiconductor devices.
3. Critically review the complete route from the initial materials to the production of electronic and optoelectronic devices.
4. Critically analyse the technical issues involved in the production of practical devices.
5. Critically analyse characterisation methods for semiconductor materials and devices.
6. Critically evaluate the future direction of semiconductor device technology.
In this module, semiconductor physics introduced in PH32410 will be developed and applied to semiconductor devices. The physics of electronic and optoelectronic devices will be developed, including novel structures leading from advances in semiconductor research. The module will introduce students to the technology of production and processing of discrete and integrated semiconductor devices.
- Charge distribution and energy band diagrams
- Light absorption and emission
- Electronic and optoelectronic devices
- Detectors and sensors
- Novel devices
- Semiconductor fabrication
- Device design and processing
- Device characterisation
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||On-line tests will include numerical problems|
|Communication||Written communication using appropriate scientific and technological terminology and style|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Independent learning and critical assessment of appropriate literature|
|Information Technology||Design and evaluation packages|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Relevance for 4 of the 6 EU Key Enabling Technologies (KET): micro and nanoelectronics, advanced materials, photonics, and advanced manufacturing|
|Problem solving||Calculations in tests|
|Research skills||Critical evaluation of science and technology resources for essay|
|Subject Specific Skills||Application of key physics concepts to semiconductor technology|
|Team work||Group discussions|
This module is at CQFW Level 6