- Dr Christopher Bear (Senior Lecturer - Cardiff University)
- Professor Kevin Ward (Professor - University of Manchester)
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Research Dissertation Between 13000 and 15000 words||90%|
|Semester Assessment||Oral Presentation 10-12 minutes||10%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Resit Research Dissertation Resubmission of failed research dissertation (13000 and 15000 words)||90%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Resit Oral Presentation 10-12 minutes|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Plan, design and execute a piece of rigorous geographical research or enquiry.
2. Undertake empirical research to high standards, including the collection of primary and/or secondary data (as appropriate).
3. Analyse data in a rigorous manner, employing appropriate techniques and analysing the findings in the context of existing knowledge and theories.
4. Produce a substantial written dissertation in an appropriate academic style.
5. Demonstrate self-motivation, planning and initiative in working on an advanced project independently.
6. Present their research findings in a professional manner in written form
7. Present research findings in a professional manner in oral presentation format.
This module takes the form of a student-led advanced independent research project. An appropriate topic will be proposed by the student and approved by their supervisor or the MA coordinator. The project involves four stages: (i) the identification of a research topic and development of an appropriate research plan; (ii) empirical research to collect primary data and/or collate information from secondary sources, as appropriate for the research issue; (iii) the analysis of data and information, including the interpretation of findings in the context of existing knowledge and theories; (iv) the production of a 13000-15000 word dissertation.
1. In semester one, students will discuss their initial ideas with potential supervisors and/or the MA coordinator and their personal tutor, identifying a suitable topic and supervisor.
2. In semester two, students will hold more formal project supervision meetings with their dissertation supervisor. Over the course of the year, students are expected to meet their supervisors and tutor approximately six times, i.e. 6 x 30 minutes.
3. Students will submit a dissertation proposal and deliver an oral presentation of their dissertation plans. Feedback will be fed into the supervision process.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||If appropriate to the selected research topic, students may develop numerical skills through the collection, analysis and presentation of quantitative data.|
|Communication||Written communication skills are developed through the production of the dissertation. Oral communication skills are developed directly through Oral Presentation and in supervisory meetings.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||The intensive period of self-directed study undertaken on this module will provide students with an excellent opportunity to improve their own independent learning skills.|
|Information Technology||Students will be expected to employ appropriate IT resources in identifying data sources and collecting data (e.g. internet, electronic information resources), in data analysis (e.g. statistical packages), and in producing the final dissertation (e.g. word processing and/or GIS and mapping packages).|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Students will be expected to employ appropriate IT resources in identifying data sources and collecting data (e.g. internet, electronic information resources), in data analysis (e.g. statistical packages), and in producing the final dissertation (e.g. word processing and/or GIS and mapping packages).|
|Problem solving||The ability to identify and locate appropriate geographic information sources. Statistical treatment and interpretation of geographic data.|
|Research skills||Writing, thinking and the presentation of information|
This module is at CQFW Level 7