27 June 2014
Professor David Trotter, Head of the Department of European Languages and Director of the Anglo-Norman Dictionary project at Aberystwyth University, has been elected a foreign corresponding member (correspondant étranger) of the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres in Paris.
The Académie was founded in 1663 as an initiative by Louis XIV's foreign minister, Colbert. Since 1805 it has been housed in the former site of the “Collège des Quatre-Nations”, on the quai de Conti near the Pont des Arts.
It constitutes one of the five Academies of the Institut de France. There are at any one time 50 correspondants étrangers.
According to its charter, the Academy “is primarily concerned with the study of the monuments, the documents, the languages, and the cultures of the civilizations of antiquity, the Middle Ages, and the classical period, as well as those of non-European civilizations.”
Back to the top