Asbestos

20 August 2014

"The safety of our students and staff is of paramount importance to us. The University complies with legislative standards, and undertakes the appropriate asbestos testing and surveys.

All Residential Properties have been surveyed and the information is held on an asbestos register within the University and is available to all students and staff.  As part of this plan, the University sets out in detail how the risks from these materials will be managed and provides information on the location and condition of the materials to anyone who is liable to work on or disturb them.

Periodically these items are reviewed and monitored and re-scored under the material assessment algorithm in accordance with the  HSE guide HSG264 and the Register is updated.

95% of the  asbestos present in the bedrooms are vinyl tiles, which have a scoring of 2 and is the lowest score that is available (Very Low).  These vinyl tiles are below carpets and therefore is of no risk. The other 5% has a scoring which has the second lowest scoring  category (Low). These are contained behind a  wooden fixed panel which is secured by  tamper-proof screws.  No access can be gained  and there is no risk to the users of the building, it being completely safe, and fully in line with all statutory requirements and good practice. 

If any student or member of staff has questions about this, the University is happy to discuss matters directly with the individuals concerned."



Back to the top

Contacts

Esther Eckley, Communications, Marketing and Public Affairs
01970 621571 /ese6@aber.ac.uk