Communications and Public Affairs
What we believe
Effective and timely communications are key for any modern organisation; and whilst developments in communications technology are ever more frequent and the ways in which we consume information changing radically, we believe in setting out three basic principles for the way we work.
- We will provide a consistent flow of information about the University, to all stakeholders, internally and externally, locally and further afield.
- We will work with our media partners to present the University, its aims and its values, in new and innovative ways, reflecting strengths in research, teaching and student satisfaction, whilst ensuring relevance to academia, industry and public life.
- We will ensure that our community of students and staff is informed about the University’s key strategic priorities, reflecting our core strengths and values.
What we do
External communications and media liaison
- External communications and media liaison
- Issuing media releases and fielding media enquiries
- Producing the Aberystwyth University news pages on our website
- Linking up departments and relevant media, with the aim of promoting our research and developments
- Working with departments to co-ordinate public engagement activity locally and further afield
- Developing and maintaining the online Directory of Expertise to aid with media, business and research relationships, in collaboration with Research, Business and Innovation, and Web Services
- Co-ordinate and produce the University's Annual Review, in collaboration with colleagues across the University
- Work in partnership with DARO to produce the annual alumni magazine, PROM
- Working with departments to improve the flow of information around the University
- Publishing four editions a year of the staff newspaper, Aber News
- Preparing and circulating a Weekly Bulletin to staff, postgraduates and undergraduates
- Preparing and circulating important information to staff and students
- Working in partnership to arrange University-wide meetings and briefings
Training and induction
- Producing and delivering the staff induction workshops for new staff, in close cooperation with CDSAP
- Delivering ‘bite size’ training sessions for staff on developing press/media releases and external communications materials
- Facilitating communications awareness seminars for staff to develop awareness of the full potential of working with media partners
- Representing the University on the all-Wales Communications Group for HEIs, a professional group which considers communications and marketing activity at a pan Wales level