Room Number..........:  3.21
Building....................:  Physical Sciences
Phone.......................:   +44 (0)1970 621907
Zhongfu is a graduate of the University of Science & Technology Beijing, China (B.Sc. in Physical Chemistry of Metallurgy and Materials (Rare-Earth Engineering), 1992; Ph.D in Physical Chemistry of Metallurgy and Materials, 1998). He obtained his D.Phil. in Materials Science from the University of Oxford in 2005. Before moving to the UK, Zhongfu worked as a lecturer at the university he graduated from, and technology director and production manager in a company in China for short periods. In 2002, he started his D.Phil. study in Oxford. After finishing his D.Phil. study in Oxford in 2005, Zhongfu joined Prof. Kenneth Harris’ research group at the School of Chemistry, Cardiff University as a research associate, and then he was appointed as a permanent research fellow in Cardiff University since 2008. Zhongfu moved to Aberystwyth in 2010 to work for IMAPS and CAFMaD. He is also a visiting fellow to the Department of Materials, University of Oxford since 2006, and is a distinguished professor of Shanghai University, China since 2011.
- My Areas of Research are:
- Design, simulation and fabrication of new glassy materials: In collaboration with Prof. Neville Greaves in developing new types of glass materials with unusual properties and functionalities with the aid of large scale computer simulation and advanced visualization techniques.
- Characterization and simulation of nanodefects: Research in this field involves developing characterization techniques of combining experimental observation using electron microscopy and X-ray diffraction/scattering and computer simulations to tackle the difficulties of characterizing defects and inclusions in materials.
- Structure determination of crystals using X-Ray diffraction: This was my main research field in Cardiff University. My research has been extensively involved in optimization and further development of methodological aspects of the direct-space strategy for structure solution from powder X-ray diffraction data using genetic algorithm.
- Materials design: I have interests in designing materials based on the fundamental aspects of “crystal engineering” and “defect engineering”. Molecular mechanics (MM), molecular dynamics(MD) and DFT calculations are commonly used in the design strategy. Working on this field is also focused on further development of the molecular quasicrystals first introduced in 2006.
- Developing of materials simulations packages/software: TEMACI for TEM imaging of defects, DynaDS for electron diffuse scattering from defects and impurities, EAGER for structure solution of crystals from powder X-Ray diffraction data, as well as materials visualization tools for “visualizing” the microstructures and dynamics of materials.
Pt nanoparticles decorated rose-like Bi2O2CO3 configurations for efficient photocatalytic removal of water organic pollutants. RSC Advances 8 pp. 914-920. 10.1039/c7ra12236e2018.
Percolation channels: a universal idea to describe the atomic structure and dynamics of glasses and melts. Scientific Reports 7 16490 10.1038/s41598-017-16741-32017.
Modulating the electronic and magnetic properties of graphene. RSC Advances 7 pp. 51546-51580. 10.1039/C7RA08917A2017.
Synthesis of sandwich microstructured expanded graphite/barium ferrite connected with carbon nanotube composite and its electromagnetic wave absorbing properties. Journal of Alloys and Compounds 712 pp. 59-68. 10.1016/j.jallcom.2017.04.070 Cadair2017.
Synthesis and electromagnetic wave absorption property of amorphous carbon nanotube networks on a 3D graphene aerogel/BaFe12O19 nanocomposite. Journal of Alloys and Compounds 708 pp. 115-122. 10.1016/j.jallcom.2017.03.001 Cadair2017.
Direct in situ synthesis of a 3D interlinked amorphous carbon nanotube/graphene/BaFe12O19 composite and its electromagnetic wave absorbing properties. RSC Advances pp. 15903-15910. 10.1039/c7ra00623c Cadair2017.
Thickness-dependent electronic structure modulation of ferromagnetic films on shape memory alloy substrates based on a pure strain effect. Applied Physics Letters 109 (21) 212401 10.1063/1.4967996 Cadair2016.
Novel cobalt-free CO2-tolerant dual-phase membranes of Ce0.8Sm0.2O2−δ –Ba0.95La0.05Fe1−xZrxO3−δ for oxygen separation. Journal of Membrane Science 492 pp. 220-229. 10.1016/j.memsci.2015.05.057 Other Cadair2015.
Preparation of Porous Silicon by Sodiothermic Reduction of Zeolite and Photoactivation for Benzene Oxidation. European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry 2015 (8) pp. 1330-1333. 10.1002/ejic.201403033 Cadair2015.
Polymorphism and photoluminescence in a naphthalene-based ligand, and its supramolecular structures through second-sphere coordination with the [CoCl4]2− anion. RSC Advances 3 (29) pp. 11594-11600. 10.1039/c3ra22748k Cadair2013.
SnS2@reduced graphene oxide nanocomposites as anode materials with high capacity for rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Journal of Materials Chemistry 22 (45) pp. 23963-23970. 10.1039/c2jm35137d Cadair2012.
Green Electrochemical Process Solid-Oxide Oxygen-Ion-Conducting Membrane (SOM): Direct Extraction of Ti-Fe Alloys from Natural Ilmenite. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B 43 (3) pp. 503-512. 10.1007/s11663-012-9633-7 Cadair2012.
Environmentally Friendly Electrochemical Method for the Direct Extraction of Titanium from High-titanium Slag. In (eds) NATURAL RESOURCES AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT, PTS 1-3. Advanced Materials Research, vol. 361-363 International Conference on Energy, Environment and Sustainable Development (ICEESD 2011). Trans Tech Publications, STAFA-ZURICH pp. 655-659. 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.361-363.655 Cadair2012.
Using visualisation techniques and Molecular Dynamics to study atoms diffusing in glass. Eurographics 2011 proceedings. Eurographics 2011. Eurographics pp. 47-48. Cadair2011.
Direct selective extraction of titanium silicide Ti5Si3 from multi-component Ti-bearing compounds in molten salt by an electrochemical process. Electrochimica Acta 56 (24) pp. 8430-8437. 10.1016/j.electacta.2011.07.026 Cadair2011.
Molecular Dynamics Study of Ion Diffusion in Glassy Materials. International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies 2011. Cadair2011.
Arrays of P=O Dipoles As a Recurrent Structural Motif in Bis-Diphenylphosphine Oxides, Established from Powder X-ray Diffraction. Crystal Growth and Design 10 (8) pp. 3814-3818. 10.1021/cg100715v Cadair2010.
Multiple-fragment representations of molecular geometry in direct-space structure solution from powder X-ray diffraction data using genetic algorithms. Computational Materials Science 45 (1) E-MRS 2007 Fall Meeting Symposium on Genetic Algorithms in Materials Science and Engineering. pp. 118-121. 10.1016/j.commatsci.2008.03.047 Cadair2009.
Optimizing the Number of Components in a Molecular Quasicrystal: A Three-Component Material Based on the Penrose Tiling. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 112 (42) pp. 16186-16188. 10.1021/jp807372j Cadair2008.
Residue-based charge flipping: A new variant of an emerging algorithm for structure solution from X-ray diffraction data. Journal of Physical Chemistry A 112 (22) pp. 4863-4868. 10.1021/jp801185u Cadair2008.