Strategic Plan 2012 - 2017
Aim 4 - Engaging the world
Engaging the world: building our international reputation, attracting students and staff from across the globe and working in collaboration with internationally-recognised partners.
Aberystwyth is a global institution, with students and staff from over 90 countries and working in partnership with institutions across the world. We see much potential for growth and over the next five years we will broaden and deepen our relationships with international students, institutions, businesses and alumni. Our revised International Strategy sets out ambitious but achievable aims for international recruitment and partnerships based on identification of clear marketing opportunities for Aberystwyth. We are committed to making Aberystwyth a destination of choice for staff and students worldwide, developing a curriculum which enables our students to contribute to international development and address global challenges and expanding and nurturing international partnerships.
Attracting increasing numbers of excellent students from across the world will assist us to compete internationally and will stand as a mark of the quality education we are able to offer. The esteem in which Aberystwyth is held by international students is proven by our repeated success in the International Student Barometer survey of student satisfaction. Our international students value the opportunity to live and learn in an environment which is safe yet culturally vibrant, community based but with a global outlook, historic yet looking to the future. Working with their peers from across the globe in our high-quality learning environment they gain a qualification that is internationally-recognised. We are exploring a range of ways for students to combine a period of study at Aberystwyth with the experience of studying elsewhere, through exchange programmes and we are working with partner institutions in Malaysia and China on staff exchanges to broaden the expertise of our teaching staff.
We will build on this success, ensuring that we are able to offer a portfolio of courses that responds to the needs of students across the world. In this we are confident that our commitment to an interdisciplinary education will help us to reach our goals, offering distinctive programmes of study based on acknowledged excellence and quality.
Our commitment to our international students as valued members of our educational community, will be shown through additional investment in support initiatives, with dedicated resources to provide excellent, informative and engaging pre-arrival, induction and orientation services, as well as development of our English and Welsh Language and Study skills support. Additionally, we will be reviewing our portfolio, particularly our postgraduate taught provision, to ensure that courses respond to international market demands.
Alongside this, we are committed to attracting the best staff from across the world to work at Aberystwyth, offering an environment in which intellectual rigour and independence of thought can flourish, and committed to supporting staff to develop their skills and progress in their careers.
We will increase our engagement with our partner universities, building the potential for articulation agreements and study abroad placements and helping our academic departments to develop new teaching and research partnership opportunities. We will enhance employability through engaging more fully with our international alumni, identifying potential partnerships, international employer visits for our students, opportunities for collaboration with international companies, and international work placements.
Strategies for 2012-2017
- Revitalising our International Strategy and identifying and targeting new markets where there is potential for growing the Aberystwyth brand both for undergraduate and postgraduate provision.
- Developing support for international students.
- Increasing engagement with partner universities to enhance our position in key markets.
- Working closely with alumni and other partners to foster international links, exploring options for quality assured new modes of delivery; such as in-country provision, regional hubs and rigorously overseen franchised provision.
- Expanding our international research partnerships.
- Empowering our staff to engage in international engagement and in supporting international students by providing a programme of appropriate training and development activities.
By 2017 we will:
- Treble our number of international students on taught programmes (undergraduate and postgraduate).
- Increase our number of international research students to 30% of the total full time research student cohort at Aberystwyth.
- Increase the number of students participating in exchanges or study abroad schemes to 10% of the undergraduate student body.
- Introduce at least 10 new taught postgraduate programmes each year.
Vice-Chancellor's Office, Aberystwyth University, Visualisation Centre, Penglais Campus, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3BF
Tel: 01970 622002 Fax: 01970 611446 Email: email@example.com