Institute of Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science
The Institute brings together excellent and progressive teaching and research of three complementary specialisms: Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science. The synergy of these disciplines enables IMPACS to facilitate an interdisciplinary approach to scientific innovation and learning. Our collegiality delivers new and challenging opportunities to strengthen students' learning experience and academic development, to enhance career paths for our graduates and staff, and to push the boundaries of scientific knowledge.
Institute Director - Professor Qiang Shen
Professor Qiang Shen has more than 30 years’ experience working in the field of intelligent systems. He came from the University of Edinburgh (where he served as Director of Teaching with the School of Informatics) in 2004 to take up the post of Chair in Computer Science. He is a Fellow of the Learned Society of Wales and a UK Research Exercise Framework (REF) 2014 panel member for Computer Science and Informatics. He has authored 2 research monographs and over 300 peer-reviewed papers, including one that received an IEEE Outstanding Transactions Paper Award. He has been the first-supervisor of 40 PhDs/PDRAs, including a British Computer Society Distinguished Dissertation Award winner.
Institute Manager - Dave Smith
Dave has worked for AU for over 13 years following spells working in both the private and public sector. A graduate of the Department of International Politics where he studied International Politics at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, Dave joined the Department of Computer Science as an administrator at the beginning of 2000.
As Institute Manager Dave will have responsibility for the efficient and effective running of administrative, financial and operational processes in the Institute of Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science, as well as organising and coordinating relationships with University central services.
- Institute Director - Professor Qiang Shen
- Institute Manager - Mr Dave Smith
- Head of Mathematics- Prof. Simon Cox
- Head of Physics - Professor Andy Evans
- Head of Computer Science - Dr Bernie Tiddeman
- Director of Research - Prof. Reyer Zwiggelaar
- Director of Postgradute Studies - Dr Daniel Burgarth
- Director of Undergraduate Studies - Prof. Chris Price
- Director of International and External Relations - Prof. Manuel Grande
- Director of Infrastructure - Mr. Dave Price
- Director of Welsh Language and Culture - Dr. Eleri Pryse
- Director of Student and Staff Experience - Dr. Eleri Pryse
- Director of Recruitment and Marketing - Dr. Lynda Thomas