|Module Title||OPEN SOURCE DEVELOPMENT ISSUES|
|Co-ordinator||Dr Adrian D Shaw|
|Semester||Intended for use in future years|
|Next year offered||N/A|
|Next semester offered||N/A|
|Other staff||Mr Richard C Shipman, Dr Adrian D Shaw, Mr David J Smith|
2. A Brief History of the open source development culture
3. Contrasting two main methods of building large pieces of software: "The Cathedral and the Bazaar"
Teams led by a chief architect, as opposed to software development led by users.
Open sourcing initiated by companies.
4. The property and ownership customs of the open-source culture.
Legal issues including licensing, using open source software in other packages, which may come under a different licence.
5. The economics of open source software.
How to make money out of Open Source software.
6. Current issues and future challenges.
Is Open Source a threat to big corporations? Are there implications for national governments?
This module is at CQFW Level 6