Due to Covid-19 students should refer to the module Blackboard pages for assessment details
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Final report (Semester 2)||45%|
|Semester Assessment||Literature review (Semester 1)||15%|
|Semester Assessment||Oral Presentation (Semester 2)||15%|
|Semester Assessment||Progress mark (Semester 2)||10%|
|Semester Assessment||Project Plan (Semester 1)||5%|
|Semester Assessment||Literature search (Semester 1)||5%|
|Semester Assessment||Preliminary results (Semester 2)||5%|
|Supplementary Assessment||As determined by Departmental Exam Board||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Investigate a specific physics-related scientific problem.
2. Identify, and critically review the scientific literature of a chosen field.
3. Construct a project plan and implement it based on a good understanding of the physics involved and of the background literature.
4. Identify resources to undertake a scientific project.
5. Summarise their findings in a comprehensive report.
6. Present and defend the work orally.
This module doubles as the final year physics project for BSc students and as an intermediate project for MPhys students. All students will undertake a project on which they will work in pairs under the guidance of their personal project supervisor and present their results in an individual oral presentation and final project report. A number of intermediate milestones (literature search strategy, full literature review, project plan and preliminary results document) are designed to keep the project focussed and ensure a roughly equal workload distribution throughout the year. Different projects require different amount of laboratory work, computing, analysis etc, but as a guideline the total time spent on the project should be 400 hours.
2. Planning phase (project plan, resourcing).
3. Experimental phase (experimental work, preliminary results document).
4. Dissemination phase (oral presentation, written report).
This module is at CQFW Level 6