Professional Doctorate Study at Aberystwyth University [DProf]
The Professional Doctorate is intended to allow qualified professionals to study for a doctorate while remaining in employment and to conduct doctoral level research which may be based upon their profession practice. A professional doctorate will be awarded in recognition of the successful completion of an approved taught programme of study, together with successful completion of further study and research. Professional Doctorates will be awarded to students who have successfully demonstrated;
- the creation and interpretation of new knowledge, through original research or other advanced scholarship, of a quality to satisfy peer review, extend the forefront of the discipline, and merit publication or production;
- a systematic acquisition and understanding of a substantial body of knowledge which is at the forefront of an academic discipline or area of professional practice or is likely to lead to professional or organisational change in the candidate’s workplace/profession;
- the general ability to conceptualise, design and implement a project for the generation of new knowledge, applications or understanding at the forefront of the discipline, and to adjust the project design in the light of unforeseen problems;
- a detailed understanding of applicable techniques for research and advanced academic enquiry.
Typically, holders of the qualification will be able to:
- make informed judgements on complex issues in specialist fields, often in the absence of complete data, and be able to communicate their ideas and conclusions clearly and effectively to specialist and non-specialist audiences;
- demonstrate self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems, and act autonomously in planning and implementing tasks at a professional or equivalent level;
- continue to undertake pure and/or applied research and development at an advanced level, contributing substantially to development of new knowledge, techniques, ideas or approaches.
Doctoral degree holders will have completed research training that provides the qualities and transferable skills necessary for employment, including;
- the exercise of initiative and personal responsibility;
- decision-making in complex and unpredictable situations in professional or equivalent environments;
- the independent learning ability required for continuing professional development.
For further information and to apply, please contact:
Phone: +44  01970 622023
Academic Quality and Records Office, First Floor, Cledwyn Building, Penglais, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3DD UK
Tel: 01970 622023 Fax: 01970 622921 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org