2.5 Minor Modifications to Existing Schemes
1. Academic departments should carefully consider the implications of any minor modifications to existing schemes, which may arise as a result of annual monitoring exercises or external feedback, and consult with students as outlined in AQH 2.1. Academic departments should also consult the Academic Registry QA team to ascertain whether the changes will require only internal Faculty approval. If so, they may be reported to ADPC by submitting the relevant extract from the minutes of the Faculty Academic Affairs Committee, with a coversheet to provide an outline of the changes. If ADPC is not satisfied with the level of detail provided in the minutes, or is not assured that the proposed changes constitute a minor modification, the committee may require the department(s) concerned to submit a proposal for a scheme restructure by completing Schemapp1.
2. In order to ensure that existing schemes do not change as a consequence of cumulative annual revisions, to the extent that they are no longer valid in relation to their original specifications, all minor modifications to existing schemes must be monitored by Faculties after initial reporting to ADPC, and reported to Academic Board through the Annual Monitoring of Taught Schemes. All schemes are also subject to Period Scheme Review every five years.
3. Minor modifications to schemes may also be approved during the course of a Periodic Scheme Review, as outlined in Section 2.7 of the AQH.
4. To help academic departments to assess the level of changes being proposed and the appropriate approval process, guidance should be sought from the Academic Registry QA Link. Minor modification will typically involve the following:
(i) No substantive change to the aims of the existing scheme;
(ii) No substantive change to the credit number of core modules and restriction of student choice;
(iii) No substantive change to the scheme learning outcomes, content and assessment methods;
(iv) No changes affecting more than 60 credits at any level in Part Two of an undergraduate scheme;
(v) No changes affecting more than 60 credits of a taught postgraduate scheme.
Changes to scheme titles
5. Changes to scheme titles will be considered by ADPC. Academic departments should submit proposals to the Academic Registry by completing Schemapp 8.