Philip Mortlock Young

Philip Mortlock Young, (killed on the 10 March 1915, at 23 years old) was the first Aberystwyth alumnus to die in the Great War and is mentioned in despatches. Young’s name can be found several times in The Dragon as a member of the Dramatic Society and Boating Club in 1910-11. He was also a member of the ‘Societe Francaise’, performing as Hogson (“pere de Betty”) in a production of L’Anglais Tel Qu’on le Parle which was greatly received. He is seen here (middle row, wearing a hat) with the Boating Club outside Old College.

The following tribute was paid to him in the March 1915 edition of the college newspaper, The Dragon:

“P. M. Young left College in 1911, having taken double Honours in French and Latin. He was a prominent member of the O.T.C., held Certificates A. and B., and retired with the rank of Sergeant. He was the first member of the Corps to take up a Commission in the Special Reserve, being gazetted to the King’s Liverpool Regiment in January, 1912. After leaving Aberystwyth he went up to Clare College, Cambridge, where he completed his course last June. At the outbreak of war he was promoted Lieutenant, and soon proceeded to the front. His many friends in College sincerely mourn his loss, and will extend their sympathy to his sorrowing parents.”

Further information of his movements can be found on the ‘Aberystwyth University’ pdf at :

“Philip Mortlock Young, M.I.D., Lieutenant, King’s Liverpool Regiment. Philip was the son of William and A. J. Young, of Elim, Westbere, Canterbury. He was commissioned into the 3rd Battalion, King’s Liverpool Regiment, and was posted to France at the outbreak of the war with the 1st Battalion, King’s Liverpool Regiment, which was attached to 6 Brigade, 2nd Division. The Division fought at the Battle of Mons, and retreating southwards, fought at the Affair of Landrecies, the Rearguard Actions of Villers-Cotterets, and at the Battle of the Marne where the German offensive was stopped. The Germans retreated north, and the BEF met them fighting at the Battle of the Aisne. The 2nd Division was then moved to Flanders, where it fought at the First Battle of Ypres, remaining there throughout the first winter of the war. In 1915 they took part in the Battle of Festubert, and it was there, on 10 March 1915, that Philip was killed. He was 23 years old, and is commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial, Richebourg L’Avoue, France.”

Philip’s name is commemorated on the War Memorial in the Quad, Old College, Aberystwyth.