Travel the World
Travel the World 2020
Update in relation to COVID 19: Mini MOTs have been cancelled as it involved face to face contact. As long as instructions are 'social distancing' and not 'social isolation', Travel the World itself will go ahead; as you can be active on your own, away from others. But, we will not have a competition anymore; you can decide yourself to use it as motivator to be active, while following government guidelines.
Staff Challenge: 23rd March – 3rd May 2020
Join us for Travel the World 2020! Whether you want to improve fitness, achieve a personal goal or train for an event, the Travel the World platform can help you on your way! There is also a competitive element if you wish to take part, where individuals and Departments can see who can travel the furthest. Just log into the system with your Aberystwyth username and password to get started!
Taking part in Travel the World aims to help you become a little bit more active, by:
- Setting yourself target distances and track your progress throughout the course of Travel the World
- Walk to the Sports Centre for a swim in the morning
- Enjoying the surroundings that Wales and Aberystwyth has to offer
- Arrange your own social walks with other people taking part, from gentle strolls to long walks
- Take part in activities that the Arts Centre provides, such as dancing, and enjoy a healthy snack with 10% discount in their café, piazza café and bar.
- Receive a quick Mini MOT about your current status, including body composition
Upon signing up to the scheme, you will receive reduced rates on the swimming pool at the University Sports Centre! You will also be offered a free Mini MOT (BMI, body fat percentage, lean mass, hydration status, muscle strength, balance) at the beginning of the scheme. If you have your results from previous years, you can possibly even compare them!
As suggestions to track your physical activity levels:
- You can still use the pedometer from previous years.
- Buy your own pedometer, borrow one from someone else, or use other activity or distance trackers. This could help you get started, as it is a small investment but it might help keep you walk a few more steps each day.
- Use a step counter app on your smart phone, for example Pacer, which is free and works on both
- Use the app called Active10 to also include brisk walks as much as you can.
Mini MOT sessions
Mini MOT sessions will take 20 minutes and are offered between 16th-20th March 2020. You can complete your booking here to arrange a specific date and time. We recommend you book your session in before the start of Travel the World. Please note that after you’ve selected a particular slot it will ask to register/log in; this is not needed, so click ‘skip login process’ to continue without logging in.
In order to retrieve your 10% discount at the Arts Centre café, piazza café and bar and reduced swimming rates at the Sports Centre, just show your Aber ID card and Travel the World sticker at the reception desk! Stickers can be collected from the Sports Centre from 12th March.
Let us know about activities and challenges that are going on in the area, by filling in this form. We will email updates to help you find relevant events to help you cover the World.
Forgotten your pedometer? Find out how far you walked by using gMap!