Health, Safety and Environment Committee
Terms of Reference
Reports to: the Council
Occurrence:at least three times a year
Terms of reference last revised: 23 June 2017
Terms of Reference last reviewed: 23 June 2017
Terms of Reference to be next reviewed by: 23 June 2019
- Independent Member of Council (Chair)
- A further Independent Member
- A Senate Member
- One Trade Union Representative (drawn from a pool of three Representatives, one from each recognised Trade Union)
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Chief Operating Officer)
- Student Member and / or Representative
- Non-academic Staff Member
- Health, Safety and Environment Manager
- Director of the Estates Department
- University Secretary
- Director of Human Resources
- The remaining two individuals from the pool of Trade Union Representatives
The Committee may invite other University officers to attend meetings in an observer capacity and,where necessary, to provide expert information and advice.
Those in ‘in attendance’ shall be entitled to arrange for a deputy to attend individual meetings ontheir behalf, on the understanding that the deputy should be of appropriate standing, be well informedand able to contribute to discussions with the required authority.
Four of the Committee members shall constitute a quorum, as long as either:
- Two Independent Members are present; or
- At least one Independent Member and one Trade Union Representative are present.
The Health, Safety and Environment Committee is responsible for advising Council on the discharge of its duty as the body with ultimate responsibility for Health and Safety matters at Aberystwyth University.
The Committee is authorised by the Council to investigate any activity within its terms of reference.
The Committee shall be supported by a Health, Safety and Environment Operational Group, the members of which shall have access to all papers presented to the Health, Safety and Environment Committee for information.
Terms of Reference
- To consider and recommend for Council approval institutional strategies relating to Safety, Occupational Health, and Environmental matters.
- To consider and approve:
- The annual report on Health and Safety activities at the University, which in turn shall be presented to the Council; and
- Health and Safety policy statements, and associated documents setting out individual responsibilities.
- To receive and, where relevant, to make suitable recommendations to Council:
- A report at each meeting by the Health, Safety and Environment team on Health and Safety activities at the University, to include a summary of all incident and accidents, and RIDDOR injuries;
- Audit reports on Health, Safety and Environment matters at the University, including the biennial Insurance Surveyors’ Report;
- A copy of the institution’s latest Health, Safety and Environment risk register;
- Regular reports on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) relating to Health, Safety and Environment matters at the University;
- Specific reports on Radiation Protection, Fire Safety, Asbestos, Genetic Modification,and Biocides.
- To monitor changes in legislation and good practice relating to Health, Safety and the Environment, and ensure that all strategies and policies are revised as necessary.
- To ensure that all levels of University management are aware of their safety and environmental obligations.
- To receive reports following meetings of the Health, Safety and Environment Operational Group.
- To review the Committee’s terms of reference on an annual basis, and recommend to Council any necessary revisions.
Where particular strategies and policies have financial and / or resource implications which have not already been allowed for in the budget, these shall also be presented to the Finance and Strategy Committee for consideration.
|Ms Anne Davies||Chairman|
|Ms Rebecca Davies||Pro Vice-Chancellor (Chief Operating Officer)||01970 62 (2008)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr Keith Evans||Independent Member of Council|
|Dr Hazel Davey||Senate Representative||01970 62 (1829)||email@example.com|
|Dr Rebecca Edwards||Trade Union Representative (UCU)||01970 62 (1651)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr Andrew Brown||Trade Union Representative (Unite)||01970 62 (2602)||email@example.com|
|Ms Sue Ferguson||Trade Union Representative (UNISON)||01970 62 (1869)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ms Molly Longden||Student Representative||01970 62 (1731)||email@example.com|
|Mr Tim Davies||Non-academic Staff Member||01970 62 (2924)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ms Claire Williams||
Health, Safety and Environment Manager
|01970 62 (1715)||email@example.com|
|Ms Andrea Pennock||Director of Estates||01970 62 (1918)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr Geraint Pugh||University Secretary||01970 62 (2114)||email@example.com|
|Mrs Susan Chambers||Director of Human Resources||01970 62 (2055)||firstname.lastname@example.org|