Plastic Free Certification
In May 2018 both the University Executive Group and Council approved support to work towards becoming one of the first universities in the UK to achieve Plastic free Certification. The scheme is run by the SAS and comprises of 5 key elements;
- Local Governance - Council must lead by example to remove single-use plastic items from their premises/activities. Council to encourage plastic free initiatives, promoting the campaign and supporting events.
- Business activity - At least three single-use plastic items removed from each retail outlets and replaced with sustainable alternatives.
- Plastic free allies - gain widespread community support for Plastic Free status, spreading the Plastic Free message and establishing the call to arms against Wasteland.
- Plastic Free Rallies - community Beach (or suitable alternate) Cleans, taking part in SAS’s nationwide beach clean series each Spring and Autumn.
- Set up a strategic plastic free group
As part of the awareness campaign, we will be holding a Plastic Free Day on Tuesday 26 June which will include:
- Hospitality outlets will restrict the sale of many single use plastic items
- A special offer on buying reusable coffee cups @ £1.50
- An information stand on the Piazza between 11am – 2pm
- Guided litter pick-ups leaving from the Piazza at 12pm and 1pm
- Free screening of ‘A Plastic Ocean’ in the Arts Centre cinema at 5.45pm. Please reserve your ticket online.
We are also asking all departments to make a pledge on Tuesday 26 June stating how they will help make Aberystwyth a plastic free campus.
Suggestions for potential pledges are:
- Stop using plastic windowed envelopes
- Stop using balloons at events
- Use re-usable coffee cups for all training and meetings rather than disposable cups
- Use water jugs with re-usable cups rather than bottled water for training and meetings
If you have any questions or want to get involved please email firstname.lastname@example.org