Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship (ESDGC)
There has been a growing recognition that principles of good environmental management and sustainability need to be included in curricula of education at all levels. This is sometimes known as 'Greening the Curriculum'. This aspect is one of the significant direct and indirect environmental impacts of the university.
- The Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW) has launched the ESDGC programme that currently has two key areas of focus, Curriculum Analysis and Environmental Management Systems.
- AU has undertaken an audit of the curriculum according to HEFCW guidelines. An analysis of results from institutions in Wales has been published by the Higher Education Academy, which demonstrates that 100% of AU programmes of study and 75% of AU modules have Sustainable Development incorporated. The HEA summary document:
- The Aim 6 - Investing in Our Future includes a commitment to ESDGC:
- continue to embed the issue of Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship (ESDGC) within the University’s annual Planning Round,
- roll out best practice in issues relating to the ESDGC agenda through the guidance of the appointed ESDGC Champion, and continue to monitor activity in this area across the University,
- The Welsh Assembly Government document 'Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship: A Strategy for Action'.