Transport and Travel
Travel is a significant direct and indirect environmental impact for the University both locally (staff and student journeys to work each day) and further afield (student travel to and from Aberystwyth each term and session), staff work-related journeys (such as to conferences).
- Cycling is being promoted by the introduction of cycleways and the introduction of secure cycle storage on campus.
- The University has launched a Cycle to Work scheme in conjunction with 'Cyclescheme'.
- New University buildings currently being planned incorporate shower facilities that will be useful for those who cycle to work.
A major step forward in this area has been the establishment by the university of the 'Aha' travel permit scheme available to both students and staff which provides free bus travel for students and staff on Arriva services within Aberystwyth and half price travel on Arriva services to other parts of Wales. This scheme strongly promotes public transport (bus and rail). Other travel-related information.
- Informal groups within departments have established their own Car-sharing arrangements.
- Mid-Wales County Councils have developed a transport information and travel share scheme: DoItWithDai
- Also the LiftShare organisation can help people obtain lifts, or offer to share their vehicles.
Related News Items
To mark Bike Week 2009 (13-21 June 2009) the University launched a new Cycle-to-Work initiative that allows members of staff to make big savings on new bicycles. More Information