Travel is often an essential and unavoidable part of the working day for many due to the nature of the University’s teaching, research and commercial activities. It's therefore critical that all members of staff familiarise themselves with the University's Travel Policy and accompanying guidance notes, particularly if regularly engaging in travel for any type of University-related business.


All members of staff should familiarise themselves with the requirements of the University's Travel Policy:

In particular, there are three key points which should be considered and addressed before any travel is undertaken:

  • Advance notice of all overseas travel to ensure appropriate insurance cover;
  • Production of  travel and activity- specific risk assessments;
  • Availability of full itineraries and emergency contact details.

FCO Travel Advice

When travelling abroad, the relevant risk assessment(s) should make reference to, and consider appropriate control measures suggested by, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) travel advice.

The latest FCO Travel Advice is available at:

The FCO will generally attribute each country or region with a particular classification of restriction:

  1. Countries or regions with no travel restrictions imposed by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office;
  2. Countries or regions where the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises against all travel unless on essential business;
  3. Countries or regions where the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises against all travel.

Colleagues should be aware of the appropriate approval process for travel to each of these classified countries, and regularly monitor for any changes in the FCO advice during the period leading to the intended travel.

Travel Cover

All staff and students travelling overseas for the purposes of University-related business (including those attending conferences, undertaking field work, and on work placements) are required to ensure that travel cover has been arranged through the University's travel cover provider. This MUST be arranged before any overseas travel can take place.

To arrange for travel cover for the purposes of University-related business, please contact the Finance Department with details of the:

  • Date(s) of travel;
  • Destination(s);
  • Purpose of travel.

For any further information relating to Travel Cover, please click here, or contact the Finance Department at 

Data Protection Notice

Data Protection Notice: The Health, Safety and Environment Team are committed to protecting personal data through compliance with data protection legislation and best practice. For details of how we manage your personal data, please go to:

Travel Checklist

Prior to any University-related travel, there may be common considerations which colleagues should satisfy before they travel. These considerations may include, but may not be limited to the following:

  1. Ensure you have permission to travel from your Institute Director / Head of Professional Service Department.
  2. Ensure all contact numbers are backed up and accessible on an email account / hard copy in your room, in addition to your passport and visa.
  3. Contact your Institute at agreed intervals.
  4. Check that you have appropriate vaccinations and other health protection measures before travel.
  5. Check you have applied and been granted the appropriate Visa’s (if applicable) for countries to be visited.
  6. Your travel itinerary is logged with your Institute Director or Head of Professional Service Department and the International Office.
  7. Contact the International Office for country specific information on practical matters and University policy.
  8. The University has confirmed you are covered by its travel cover.
  9. You have suitable funds for your trip, and have applied for an advance of expenses if required.
  10. Keep all receipts to claim expenses back (ensure the receipt is legible for verification of what was purchased).
  11. You have raised any concerns that you may have before leaving.

Risk Assessment

Risk Assessments are an integral part of the travel process, and require employers to protect those travelling on business from harm, as far as is reasonably practicable. As a result, risk assessments must be completed for all travel undertaken for the purpose of University business. Risk assessments should be produced by a competent person within the Institute or Professional Service Department (who may be the staff or student undertaking the travel). In cases where the competent person is another member of staff, the individual(s) involved in the travel should have considerable input in the identification of hazards and control measures and the overall contents of the risk assessment, particularly where the activities involved require significant technical and scientific expertise.

Colleagues should be fully aware of, and comply with, the control measures identified in the relevant risk assessment(s). The nature of the risk assessments will vary depending on the nature and destination of travel, and the activities that will be undertaken during the period of travel. All cases of University-related overseas travel, should, as best practice, have one risk assessment specific to the method(s) of transport, and a second risk assessment relating to the activity(ies) to be undertaken during the travel (e.g. fieldwork, research, etc.).

The types of issues to be considered and addressed in the travel risk assessment may include, but may not be limited to:

  • Disease or other particular medical concern(s), such as known condition(s) for the individual(s) concerned;
  • Personal fitness to travel;
  • Immunisation / vaccination requirements;
  • Accommodation;
  • Manual Handling;
  • Medical Emergency Protocols;
  • Specific safety issues or concerns regarding proposed destination;
  • Terrorism.

For further information on Risk Assessments, please click Risk Assessment.