Prof David Ellis BA, MA, PhD, MIinfSc
I graduated with a BA from Durham University and an MA and PhD in Information Studies from the University of Sheffield. I was first lecturer and then senior lecturer in the Department of Information Studies in Sheffield from 1984 to 2000. I took up the post of Professor in the Department of Information and Library Studies, Aberystwyth University in 2000.
I enjoy travel and sunshine, and first came to Aberystwyth as an external examiner in the mid 1990s. I was very impressed by the collegial atmosphere of the Department and quality of the work here, and so was pleased to have the opportunity to join the staff of the Department in 2000.
- Member of the international conference committee of the Conceptions of Library and Information Science Conferences 1998-
- Member of international conference committee of the Information Seeking in Context Conferences 1998-
- Member of the AHRB Peer Review Panel for Archives Library and Information Science 2000-
- Member, Editorial Board, Aslib Proceedings, 2000-
- Member, Editorial Board, New Review of Information Behaviour Research, 2000-
- Member, Editorial Board, New Review of Document and Text Management, 1993-
- Member, Editorial Board, International Journal of Information Management, 1985-
- External Examiner for several Departments of Information Studies in the UK
Chair, Research Strategy Committee; Member UWA Management Information Committee
- DS33320 - Research Methodology
- DS34820 - Knowledge Management
- DS35720 - Knowledge and Information Architecture
- DSM0720 - Research and Evaluation Methods in Information Systems
- DSM1460 - Dissertation
- DSM1810 - Research in the Profession
- DSM6820 - Knowledge and Information Architecture
- DSM9710 - Knowledge Management
- ILM1460 - Dissertation
- ILM8620 - Knowledge and Information Architecture
- DS36520 - Management of Organisations
- DSM7720 - Studies in Management
- DSM7430 - Studies in Management
Knowledge Management, Information Management, Research Methods
Information and knowledge management; information needs; user studies; information retrieval; academic communication; communication in organizations; non-technical aspects of information systems; information policy and strategy; information and communication audits.
Developing a model for investigating academic libraries as learning organisations. In (eds) IDIMC 2016 Exploring our digital shadow: from data to intelligence: Conference Proceedings Loughborough University, 12&13 January 2016. Loughborough University, Loughborough pp. 54-65. Other Cadair2016.
An investigation into the impact of information behaviour on information failure: The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power disaster. International Journal of Information Management 35 (1) pp. 57-63. 10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2014.10.002 Cadair2015.
A Discussion of Problems in Implementing Organisational Cultural Change:: Developing A Learning Organisation in University Libraries. Library Review 64 (6/7) pp. 480-488. 10.1108/LR-10-2014-0116 Cadair2015.
Elaborations of Grounded Theory in Information Research: Arenas/social worlds theory, discourse and situational analysis. In (eds) Grounded Theory and Situational Analysis. SAGE Benchmarks in Social Research Methods 1st edn, SAGE Publications, UK pp. 309-334. Cadair2013.
Research assessment and the shaping of research in library and information studies. In (ed) Library and Information Science Trends and Research: Europe: Library and Information Science, Volume 6. LIS research in Europe Library and Information Science, vol. 6 Emerald Group Publishing, United Kingdom pp. 143-168. 10.1108/S1876-0562(2012)0000006010 Cadair2012.
Elaborations of Grounded Theory in Information Research: Arenas/social worlds theory, discourse and situational analysis. Library and Information Research 36 (112) pp. 120-146. Cadair2012.
Research Assessment and the Shaping of Library and Information Research in the United Kingdom. In (eds) Library and Information Science Trends and Research: Europe. Library and Information Science Emerald Group Publishing pp. 143-168. 10.1108/S1876-0562(2012)0000006010 Cadair2012.
The emergence of conceptual thinking in information behaviour research. In (eds) New Directions in Information Behaviour. Library and Information Sciences Emerald Group Publishing pp. 17-35. 10.1108/S1876-0562(2011)002011a005 Cadair2011.
Social science literatures and their users. In (ed) Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science, Taylor & Francis, 2010. Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science Taylor & Francis pp. 4848-4856. Cadair2010.
Community and virtual community. Annual Review of Information and Science and Technology, Vol. 38. Information Today, Inc. pp. 145- 186. Cadair2004.
Information seeking and mediated searching Part 4: Cognitive styles in information seeking. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 53 (9) pp. 728-735. 10.1002/asi.10084 Cadair2002.
Information seeking and mediated searching. Part 1: Theoretical framework and research design. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 53 (9) pp. 695-703. 10.1002/asi.10081 Cadair2002.