Financial concerns

I have financial difficulties- what support can I access?

If you have urgent financial concerns please contact one of our Student Advisers on to discuss your situation in more detail.

The student hardship fund is still currently available. However, due to the current situation we can only accept applications through email and there may be a significant delay in processing your application. Please email your completed application form and supportive evidence to

You can find the application form here -

Will I still have to pay for my accomodation if I bring my Accommodation Licence Agreement to an end?

No, students will not be charged for their accommodation after Easter if they wish to bring their Accommodation Licence Agreement with us to an end. 


What happens to outstanding catering balances on Aber Cards for students in catered residences?

You will not lose the remaining credit balances on your AberCards, should you be unable to spend these before the end of the academic year. Any outstanding balances will be rolled forward until next year for all returning students.

Any students not returning to university in 2020/21 please see FAQ: Can I request a refund for my Aber Card, Parking Permit and Sport Centre Membership?

I have a finance-related query that isn't answered here

Visit the Finance Department FAQs for answers to the following questions:

  • How do I pay my tuition fees?

  • How do I pay my accommodation fees?

  • How do I pay other invoices that are not for tuition or accommodation fees?

  • How do I update my card details for my plan(s)?

  • I haven’t received my bursary payment?

  • I’m due a refund, what do I need to do?

  • Will I still receive my payments from Student Finance?

  • I have changed my bank and/or contact details, whom do I inform?

  • I have been relying on external work to help pay my fees. I have been advised that due to the current situation I am no longer required. How will the University help me?

What can I do if I have concerns about repaying debt now I have graduated but am unable to find work?

It is important to remember that you do not need to start repaying your student loan back until you are earning above the required threshold. If your income changes, the amount you repay will change too. If you stop working or start to earn under the threshold at any point in the year your payments will stop. But don’t worry as this happens automatically.

If you are struggling with debt, it can be hard to know where to turn. But with lots of free advice services available across the UK, you can find help in a way that’s best for you. A good place to start could be by contacting your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau. The following links will provide you with information on a variety of services offering free debt advice.

General debt advice is available from the Money Advice Service UK and you can use this link to find services close to your location as well as free online advice.

CAB Aberystwyth -
Step Change Debt Charity -
National Debtline -

For help with finding work contact the Careers Service on

Will I need to repay my student overdraft straight away?

Generally, once you finish university your bank will turn your student account into a graduate one. You will need to check the terms and conditions of your own bank account in regards to this but you may want to ask your bank the following questions particularly as interest rates on overdraft facilities are due to change in July which was extended due to COVID-19:

  • Will I be automatically upgraded to a graduate account?
  • What deals do you have on graduate accounts?
  • Will I have my overdraft limit reduced? If so, when?
  • When will I be charged interest on my overdraft?

Use this as an opportunity to manage and balance your budget after graduation.