New Questions

What can I do if I have graduated from university but am unable to find work due to COVID-19?

Whilst there has been a reduction in the number of vacancies being advertised in recent months, employers are still recruiting and there are jobs out there.  Check out the vacancies and information on offer by the Careers Service.  

However, if you are faced with this situation, you may be eligible to receive some financial support from the Government. To find out more about this you can contact Job Centre Plus.
You can also run a benefit entitlement check online yourself through the following webpage before contacting your local job centre.

I cannot find work or a graduate internship because of COVID-19. Should I return to study?

Although this maybe a daunting time, you may wish to use this opportunity to think about staying on in education through undertaking Postgraduate study.  Why not speak with one of our Careers Consultants to discuss all your options, simply book an appointment in ABERcareers or email Employers are still recruiting (check out, and we can discuss those options and Postgraduate study with you.  A list of PG courses offered at Aberystwyth are available here:

You can find out what student finance funding you would be eligible to receive through the following links:
Student Finance Wales
Student Finance England
However, please remember to factor in that you would be expected to pay your tuition fees yourself out of this loan.
You can use the following link to help you plan your finances and explore whether staying on in education could work for you

I am an international student on a visa, what are my options after I graduate?

The International Student Adviser will be able to provide you with advice on what options are available to you if you wish to look for work in the UK or continue studying after you finish your course.  You are welcome to contact the International Student Adviser on

What can I do if I have concerns about repaying debt now I have graduated but am unable to find work?

It is important to remember that you do not need to start repaying your student loan back until you are earning above the required threshold. If your income changes, the amount you repay will change too. If you stop working or start to earn under the threshold at any point in the year your payments will stop. But don’t worry as this happens automatically.

If you are struggling with debt, it can be hard to know where to turn. But with lots of free advice services available across the UK, you can find help in a way that’s best for you. A good place to start could be by contacting your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau. The following links will provide you with information on a variety of services offering free debt advice.

General debt advice is available from the Money Advice Service UK and you can use this link to find services close to your location as well as free online advice.

CAB Aberystwyth -
Step Change Debt Charity -
National Debtline -

For help with finding work contact the Careers Service on

Will I need to repay my student overdraft straight away?

Generally, once you finish university your bank will turn your student account into a graduate one. You will need to check the terms and conditions of your own bank account in regards to this but you may want to ask your bank the following questions particularly as interest rates on overdraft facilities are due to change in July which was extended due to COVID-19:

  • Will I be automatically upgraded to a graduate account?
  • What deals do you have on graduate accounts?
  • Will I have my overdraft limit reduced? If so, when?
  • When will I be charged interest on my overdraft?

Use this as an opportunity to manage and balance your budget after graduation.

Can I appeal my module mark?

Yes, you can submit an appeal if you have grounds.  Before you decide to submit an appeal, please remember that you already have the opportunity to take further assessments to try to improve your marks.  And, if you have failed modules in semester two, you also already have the opportunity to take these assessments again for full marks.

If you are not sure whether submitting an appeal could lead to a different outcome, please contact either the Registry at and/or the Students’ Union at for advice.

Can I appeal my degree result?

Yes, you can submit an appeal if you have grounds, please see the appeals procedure at: